Acer Aspire One SSD upgrade help reqd.

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by gizmo87, Aug 31, 2012.

1. gizmo87

gizmo87

I have a ZG5 model Acer. The 1.3 PATA ZIF drive recently bit the dust, so I am trying to install a RunCore 1.8 PATA ZIF at 32gb. I have seen that other people have managed this with different SSD drives, but I cannot get the Acer to recognise the device at all.

The RunCore SSD comes with a USB converter and I have used that with another laptop - and it works fine (so I know the ZIF is the right way around).
    I have flashed the BIOS up to v3309 (latest) and everything works fine when booted from a USB drive with Ubuntu.... just no SSD!

Can anyone offer me any advice?

(ps. I have emailed RunCore - no reply as yet)

gizmo87, Aug 31, 2012
  2. gizmo87

gizmo87

I may have answered my own question!
    Having finally got hold of some specs on the Acer and the SSD, I think the problem is simply that the BIOS (despite flashing to the latest version) is not up to the speed of the RunCore SSD when connected via the zif IDE interface. I can see no other reason for it.
    So I have soldered a cable onto the back of one of my USB ports and a mini USB on the other end of the cable (total cost £3).
    Fortunately the RunCore SSD came with a USB converter and a case, so I have mounted the USB converter IC inside the Acer case (it's very small and there was plenty of room) and made the connection that way.
    Now running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - absolutely fine!

For the record, RunCore thought it should be OK unless I had connected the cables the wrong way (I hadn't!), and Acer told me that the ZG5 supports a SATA HDD (80gb +) but didn't recommend any SSD other than the original.

If anyone knows better, please reply... otherwise it's every man/woman for themselves then!
    Good luck.

gizmo87, Sep 5, 2012
Ask a Question