Acer Aspire One RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ricardo, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ricardo

TTgowings

Re: Ram upgrade

Question, I have a stock AOA 110-1722 running the stock Linpus OS, could someone comment on how much of a difference there is in adding a 1GB stick to it to make it 1.5 GB or ram ?

Where or when do you really notice the difference with the added ram ?

TTgowings, Oct 19, 2008
  2. ricardo

GvidoR

I haven't tried adding the RAM for Linpus, but Linpus is a lite version of Linux - It boots up quick, there is no software on it that would make it slow. Even 256MB RAM would be OK for it so 512MB is good. If I were you, I wouldn't add RAM to it, I am currently using Windows XP with 512MB of RAM and it runs smoothly. :)

GvidoR, Oct 19, 2008
  3. ricardo

ripflash

ripflash, Oct 25, 2008
  4. ricardo

JohnnyMac

Hey, gang. I am shopping for a new netbook and am considering all features before I settle on one. I originally wrote off the AA1 due to the limited RAM upgrade until I found one at my local Walmart and laid my hands on the keyboard. The keyboard is FANTASTIC on the 8.9" AA1, even better than any other brand of 10.2" netbook I have encountered.

I really hate the keyboard on the Asus Eee regardless of model and also hate the chunky thickness of it. I do like that the RAM can be upgraded to 2GB without fuss. I have no interest in the MSI Wind for some reason and while the Dell Mini9 looks promising, I want a hdd in my netbook, not a small ssd

When I saw the Lenovo S10 I fell in love with that netbook and was seriously about to buy it until I found it has a keyboard layout like the Asus. While the Lenovo shares the same memory layout as the AA1 (512MB soldered and one upgradable socket) and has a stated upgradable limit of 1.5GB, owners of the S10 are installing 2GB sticks on the open slot and the machine is seeing & using 2GB of the 2.5GB total in windows. Users installing linux are reporting that linux sees all 2.5GB of the RAM!

To make a long post even longer, ever since I saw the AA1 in person yesterday I can't get it out of my mind. The keyboard is a dream, it's that nice! But is it worth losing a Gig of potential RAM? I use the crap out of my machines and want all the RAM I can get on it. I am almost ready to sacrifice total RAM and settle on the AA1 but am most displeased by it's 1.5GB limit, especially since the S10 shares the same hardware as the AA1 and can use 2GB - 2.5GB of RAM. :? I know most of you are biased towards the AA1 considering what forum this is, but do any of you own other brands of Netbook and can you give me your honest, unbiased opinion of them compared to the AA1? If I do go with the AA1 I am praying that a BIOS update will resolve the RAM limit issue. Quite disappointing... :cry:

Johnny

JohnnyMac, Nov 3, 2008
  5. ricardo

ramdiane

Johnny,

I am also hunting for a netbook, but up until a month ago I was awaiting the release of the 6 cell version of AA1 to be released in the UK. Meanwhile, another netbook was being released from Samsung who claimed that they had done extensive market research into the netbook market and addressed all netbook issues into one solution...

Let me tell you, after reading reviews the new Samsung NC10 netbook has been reviewed and highly recommended with an average score of 4-4.5 out of 5.

I was a little apprehensive about its size also because it is a 10.2 inch screen. But after popping into a shop here and comparing the AA1 and the MSI Wind for e.g. which also had a 10.2 inch screen, I came to the conclusion that the extra inch dimension screen really wasn't too much of a compromise. And the fact that it included a 6 cell battery that actually fits very nicely into the chassis (as opposed to AA1's 6 cell which sticks out horribly) was indeed good design from the manufacturers of the Samsung NC10. Apparently the battery gives an average of 6.5 hours under normal usage. The touchpad however is a little disappointing, but for me that is a small compromise.

And apparently, reviews state that the keyboard is the best thing on the market in terms of its layout, and tactile feedback. I too tried the AA1 but I always seemed to make mistakes whilst typing... but that was the main problem for me.

After looking through all these forums, it seems that Acer doesn't offer any support, or customer service when things go wrong. And in these forums I think this is the case. I hear lots of people complaining about blue death screens and issues with the BIOS and drivers etc. Mainly buggy issues with the AA1 really..
    In addition to this, it seems that adding RAM is either a hit or miss, depending on your experience of computers and opening them up really.

It appears taht you have to open the AA1 up quite a lot (removing keyboard etc) before you expose the RAM.. and this is NOT good at all, especially for a netbook. I thought the idea of netbooks was to keep them 'open' to changes??

But this review of the Samsung NC10 came up, and showed how to add RAM... and THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE!! very straightforward... pop open a small flap in the bottom of the netbook with a philips screwdriver, simply remove old RAM and replace... and it will show 2GB on the BIOS, unlike the AA1. HEre is the link to it, you can watch the video to it also:

http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/how-to/ ... spx?step=1

And here is the review to the actual Samsung NC10:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops ... -nc10.aspx

I would really urge people to have a look at these reviews and think before getting the AA1. If you really really want a 8.9 inch screen then by all means go for the AA1. But if you don't mind a netbook with the extra inch (and it's still seriously small for a netbook) then consider the Samsung NC10 as it is currently the BEST netbook in the market according to many IT professionals.

And priced at £299 this is outstanding value for money, given the 160gb specs..

Best of luck anyway!

ramdiane, Nov 4, 2008
  6. ricardo

JDM498

JDM498, Nov 12, 2008
  7. ricardo

MobileMan

I stripped 'hole 14' screw on the motherboard trying to get it out, wouldn't budge, so I made the executive decision to break it open. I gently pried under the screw and the edge of the motherboard until it snapped. It still 'hover's in same place, attached to motherboard.

Ow ow. Man, don't need memory that bad. They really are imbeciles- forcing people to rip apart machine just to put it a stick of RAM.

MobileMan, Jan 3, 2009
  8. ricardo

Peaty

I went and did mine today too, using the video posted it was not nearly as bad as I expected, the most tricky part for me was getting the keyboard out. I had to use a flat jewelers screwdriver. The CC just didn't cut it. After that with the help of the video it was pretty simple. I used the RAM that came from the Compaq Laptop I removed when I upgraded it for my son so the it was essentially free. The only other difference for me doing the upgrade was I did not unplug the daughter board or the Wi-Fi card. I just sort of let them dangle there on the side. I figured the less things I unplug the better. If you are thinking of doing it and have a good set of precision screw drivers I say give it a go. The only other tip would be to keep the removed screws from getting lost I like to use some wide masking tape. Arrange it so the sticky side is up and then you can stick the little buggers to that. I even like to put them in the same pattern location they go back in place with a little note.

Peaty, Jan 5, 2009
  9. ricardo

ipearl

To easily get teh screw out. Make sure you have a Snuggly fitting Screw driver Head, and the larger the handle the better force you have to removing it w/o stripping it.
    It does make a whole lot differnce to have the Exactly fitted Screw driver with a large handle over a non fitting minit handle

ipearl, Jan 5, 2009
  10. ricardo

ronime

I use two different screwdrivers for the black and silver coloured screws. Both screwdrivers are allegedly "Size 0" but there is a visible different in the size and shape of the points.

The silver screws are the most difficult to remove. The screwdriver that I use is like a jewellers screwdriver but with a larger, rubberised handle. You need to apply sufficient downward pressure whilst turning or the heads will strip.

I disconnect the speaker connector and remove the WiFi card, leaving the card dangling on the antenna wires. The LCD and daughterboard connectors seem very difficult to disconnect so I just leave them connected and swivel the whole motherboard up onto the LCD (protected with a soft cloth).

ronime, Jan 5, 2009
  11. ricardo

dhess62

No biggie, just did mine, takes about 30 min and some small screwdrivers that's about it. There is a good video out on YouTube showing exacly how to do this.

dhess62, Jan 14, 2009
  12. ricardo

boyfr22

I 'm a pc-tech for a living and I will tell you, this was a mission and a pain in the @$$ to do, I stripped on freaking screw so bad that I had to chop around the area of the screw to get it out, and kinda damage the area around the screw, it's not a huge issue, but I wish the screw would have came out, after that all went OK, but these screw suck, I installed my G-Skill memory because I swear by the G-skill brand, it's the best in my eyes, it was also 667 works like a charm. Like I said pain in the rear to do.

boyfr22, Jan 21, 2009
  13. ricardo

ronime

I have taken my A110-AW apart on several occasions and never really had a problem.

I installed a RAM upgrade in an A150-AB that I acquired recently and it was a complete b*tch to get the keyboard out for some reason. Normally the keyboard springs upwards when the clips along the back edge are released but this one wasn't moving at all.

The rest of the procedure and reassembly was painless. Maybe there are slight differences between the white and blue/black keyboards and bezels.

ronime, Jan 21, 2009
  14. ricardo

boyfr22

I have the black one and it was a bitch, the one screw that got terribly striped was one that the battery hides, thankfully, this way you can't even see it. Also the keyboard was hard to get up too, You can see some of the paint removed near the clips, only I could tell it there, but whatever. I now have 1.5gb and I;m happy.

boyfr22, Jan 21, 2009
  15. ricardo

Peaty

I did a friends last night, it was a heck of a lot easier and slightly less nerve-racking the second time around. The keyboard is still a bugger to get off though. I use a flat blade jewelers screw driver this time. I can't get a credit card to work for me.

Peaty, Jan 26, 2009
  16. ricardo

werightwrongs

I completed my RAM upgrade today. I followed advice from contributors in the forum and all went well. A bit of a struggle to get access to the RAM socket. I cracked two fingernails and in my frustration nearly hit the machine with a hammer. I won through in the end and looking back the process was suprisingly easy. I have also changed the BIOS to v.3309 and have installed TinyXP. I am happy for the moment.

werightwrongs, Jan 27, 2009
  17. ricardo

Guest Guest

so whats the best/cheapest memory to buy, how much, and from where?

Guest, Jan 29, 2009
  18. ricardo

rdkelp

have the Acer one with 160 gb hard drive and 1gb mem. have windows xp , my question is is the mem. up grade to 1.5 gb worth it , is it faster and worth doing . I already bought the mem and its on its way

rdkelp, Jan 31, 2009
  19. ricardo

darkmenx

well i have did the ram upgrade everything went well, top of that i bought a brand new ram for 9$ @ ebay (free shipping ftw)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0275272878

it works in the acer and its still great price even if its 2$+ than original, so if you dont know where and what to buy consider this, these guys made a great service.

darkmenx, Feb 1, 2009
  20. ricardo

jice

Hi all!
    Like I said on the other thread, I've upgraded my RAM with Kingston Value RAM SO-DIMM 1 Go DDR2-SDRAM PC5300 CL5 - KVR667D2S5/1G
    10,55 €
    Mod was quite easy and it works fine on my A110.
    But now, my AAO seems to be warmer and the fan is always working.
    Compared with my wife's one, it draws up to 2W more.
    I wonder if it is worth it and finally, aren't 512 ko enough?

Did somebody note the same thing and what's your advice?

jice, Mar 21, 2009
Ask a Question