Acer Aspire One RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ricardo, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ricardo

machani

Re: Ram upgrade

The safest and easist way to upgrade the RAM is to use the credit card+Philip's screwdriver approach as in this video: (Kudos to the guy who posted this).

A credit card is the key to getting the keyboard off without breaking anything.

The only thing I did different from the video was I did not disconnect the LCD connector from the motherboard. It is not necessary, since you can get under the motherboard after unscrewing the daughterboard as indicated in the video. It took me just 35 minutes to install the RAM, following a cautious approach.

machani, Sep 23, 2008
  2. ricardo

SbM

A guitar pick makes a great tool for this too.

SbM, Sep 23, 2008
  3. ricardo

oinquer

done this at lunch break..and while certainly it isn't for the faint of heart it ain't difficulty if done with caution.
    Anyway i have 1.48Gb ram in my computer properties lol

oinquer, Sep 24, 2008
  4. ricardo

byhsu

I am considering the 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD ACER Aspire ONE model, I would like upgrade to 1.5GB, is there an extra slot for memory, So i only need to buy a 512mb memory module or do I have to buy a 1GB module and replace the existing 512mb memory?

Thanks

byhsu, Sep 24, 2008
  5. ricardo

hbr

You will have to buy a 1GB module and replace the existing 512mb module.

hbr, Sep 24, 2008
  6. ricardo

protovision

Well, I bit the bullet, and following the youtube 'credit-card' video, I now have 1.5 MB :)

NOTES:

- I used a steak knife (*Careful*) to pry off the keyboard, credit card just wasn't working, and you if you're careful, you can do a 'wedge-and-pry' motion.

- first screw driver I opened the case with was a little too big for the internal screws, get a set of those blue-box 'precision/jeweler's' screwdriver set, they are great, $3 at dollars stores

- I stripped 'hole 14' screw on the motherboard trying to get it out, wouldn't budge, so I made the executive decision to break it open. I gently pried under the screw and the edge of the motherboard until it snapped. It still 'hover's in same place, attached to motherboard. It might be important for electrical contact, it looks like its still making contact with the bottom

- I didn't have to disconnect the EDIT: LCD cable or the daughterboard on the side as in the video. Once I had the MB screws out, I lifted the main MB out (after blue HD cable disconnected). I think he's using a HDD based system, my internals were a bit different.

- Once the MB screws were out, I lifted the front edge of the MB until I could see and reach the soDIMM socket underneath, and snapped in the ram. Be sure to lift the case open enough to insert the ram correctly, needs to be tilted slightly towards the bottom of case and snapped into place

Whew. Tense 1 hr... but now happy.

EDIT: I used a Transcend 1GB/DDR2/533 'JetRam'

protovision, Oct 2, 2008
  7. ricardo

ipearl

Congrats.
    To world of Modding =D
    Yeah they make different size credit cards.
    Mines didnt work well eitehr.
    I used my university ID it was perfect thickness.

I think alot of ppl have an issue with the Wifi Screw or the Mobo screw. They seem to be on very tight.

ipearl, Oct 2, 2008
  8. ricardo

SbM

Once more, a reasonably thick guitar pick (1.14mm for instance) works just fine for prying off the keyboard and the case, without any risk.

SbM, Oct 2, 2008
  9. ricardo

protovision

Very good advice, unfortunately didn't have a guitar pick on hand while at work during my lunch hour :)

protovision, Oct 3, 2008
  10. ricardo

MarkMan

Hi everyone...

First post here. I'm a soon to be owner of an Aspire One!

I ordered the Acer Aspire One 8.9-inch Mini Laptop (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270
    Processor, 1.0 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, XP Home).

Since it already has 1.0 GB of RAM, I was wanting to add more. Up to how much can I add? I was thinking 2GB if that is possible.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

MarkMan, Oct 3, 2008
  11. ricardo

ipearl

-_- Welcome to the Forum.

Not gonna flame you but other might, so i will make this swift.
    There should be bunch of thread about this how much the Acer Aspire One can take.
    Search button works wonders, But hey You new =D sooo Hi =P

well here it is.
    Your acer will have 512mb (Non-removable) + 512mb(Removable) = 1GB
    You can only replace the 512mb with let's say a bigger 1gb, which gives you a total of 1.5gb

No you cannot stuff a 2gb stick in there, giving it 2.5gb.
    (well atleast not yet, we don't know if it will supports 2GB with future bios mods)

SOOOOO BAM!

Max 1.5GB with a new 1GB replacing the 512.

ipearl, Oct 4, 2008
  12. ricardo

MarkMan

Hey, thanks very much for your response.

I apologize, that was very n00b of me. 1.5 it is!

MarkMan, Oct 4, 2008
  13. ricardo

koren

darn.. bought a 2gbstick yesterday.. no wonder it doesnt boot..

koren, Oct 6, 2008
  14. ricardo

byhsu

I see they have a 1gb pc24200 and pc25300 memory for the AAO, which one should i get? i have the 160gb model. Also, what is the best prices on the market right now for the memory.

Thanks

byhsu, Oct 10, 2008
  15. ricardo

liveccam

Its hard to say what the best prices are but I bought a 1 gb stick of PC5300 DDR2 SODIMM for $8 from MWave. Its been in the AAO for a couple of days now and works fine. I like cheap upgrades!

liveccam, Oct 11, 2008
  16. ricardo

GvidoR

Hey there!
    I am currently using the 512MB version of AA1. Is the built-in memory integrated, or there is one slot taken already ? I hope it's not integrated. :? And the second thing - I've seen many videos how to upgrade the memory and as we all probably know, it's on the other side of the motherboard. If so, why Acer couldn't gone with a little cover for the memory, like all the other Acers do ? I guess it wouldn't look nice, if I tried to drill a hole at the back of the One. :lol:

GvidoR, Oct 12, 2008
  17. ricardo

ipearl

Its a budget Device. So cutting Corners here and there keeps prices cheap.
    No extra door means no extra mold, Part, Labor, Quality check and so forth is needed.
    Which all costs money. And Yes if you have watched teh video you should know 512 is Built in. Onboard ram.
    And you have 1 extra Flap.

ipearl, Oct 15, 2008
  18. ricardo

GvidoR

I would pay more for the netbook, just to get the extra door. Even Asus EeePC has them. :cry: And what if something goes wrong with the built-in RAM ? You have to replace the motherboard don't you ? It costs too much so I assume that if something goes wrong with the RAM you have to get another netbook, am I right ?

GvidoR, Oct 15, 2008
  19. ricardo

poneis

no, there is already a empy memory slot, but you have to dismantle the entire netbook to acess it

but if the soldered memory fails, you probably will have to trash your motherboard or cut the onboard memory connections (a bit difficult, I wonder)

poneis, Oct 16, 2008
  20. ricardo

GvidoR

That is kind of weird move from Acer, that they integrated a memory on the motherboard that could fail, but I hope there will be some tech videos on how to cut the onboarded memory connections. I'll keep my fingers crossed! :)

GvidoR, Oct 16, 2008
Ask a Question