Acer Aspire One RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ricardo, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ricardo

rscutaru

Re: Ram upgrade

I have also installed RAM into the ONE and it works perfectly, now reading 1.5GB

rscutaru, Jul 10, 2008
  2. ricardo

techie

So does the RAM have to be upgraded by removing the keyboard etc or can you remove the bottom of the case and get to the slot from there?

techie, Jul 10, 2008
  3. ricardo

rscutaru

keyboard and 80% of the screws have to be removed :(

rscutaru, Jul 10, 2008
  4. ricardo

Sidewinder

1 PC5300 1GB SO-DIMM, 16 screws, 4 headers, 1 keyboard, 1 top of case, 2 minor heart attacks, 45 minutes and a large glass of scotch when it was all over to calm the nerves..
    I now have an Aspire One with 1.5GB RAM

Sidewinder, Jul 11, 2008
  5. ricardo

bb320

bb320, Jul 11, 2008
  6. ricardo

bb320

bb320, Jul 12, 2008
  7. ricardo

lotus49

lotus49, Jul 12, 2008
  8. ricardo

oui

thanks, dbs. i decided to go to an acer service center in thailand and got ram upgraded at no cost (my own ram).

oui, Jul 14, 2008
  9. ricardo

zeke123

>1 PC5300 1GB SO-DIMM, 16 screws, 4 headers, 1 keyboard, 1 top of case, 2 minor heart attacks, 45 minutes and a
    > large glass of scotch when it was all over to calm the nerves..I now have an Aspire One with 1.5GB RAM

Thanks.
    Im not a DYI kind of guy (well, I dont mind screwing up an old worthless P2 tower) so this defnitely not for me.

I called tigerdirect.ca and they told me that they can sell me the extra RAM for cheap but that they dont install it or sell any AA1's with more than 512mb pre-installed.

Since they are the only canadian site I know of (there is NCIX but Ihave heard bad feedback from friends and they dont answer any emailed questions so far either)), I will either get the 512mb .... or wait to see what Dell has to offer. If its true that Dell will offer the instant-on 5 second boot Linux option, then it might close call.

Had the tigerdirect people been able to sell me a machine with more RAM, I would have bought it today when I called ($379canadian).
    But the more I wait to find a place to sell this, the closer we are to Dell's launch of their E and E Slim lines which I hear will start at a $299 base price.

zeke123, Jul 15, 2008
  10. ricardo

Strawberry Field

I have just got one and done with Ram upgrade to 1.5G. Not that much difficult though.
    If somebody wants to try this;

1. You have to take out 8 screws from bottom of the unit first. Make sure there are 3 screws under the battery pack and a screw inside the each rubber foot by the battery pack.

2. Then take out the keyboard. There are three black pins on top side of the keyboard to hold the keyboard. You can just gently push up the pins to release the keyboard. And, take out the ribbon cables for the keyboard and touch pad from the mother board.

3. Take the all screws out under the keyboard. I've forgot how many screws at there.

4. Lift up the upper case gently.

5. Now you have to take the mother board out as well. Unscrew the WiFi card (that has black and white cables connected) first. And take the ribbon cable for the SSD out from the M/B. If you are not confident enough to flip over the M/B at this point, you may need to unscrew the screw for the left side hinge of the screen.

6. Take the mother board out carefully and flip over.

7. Now you can see the empty RAM slot. Make sure that works only with DDR2-533

8. Re-assemble the unit in reverse order.

P.S, Man.. this computer is so slow. Is Atom matter? or SSD is the problem? It took almost 4hrs to install XP to this machine even with 1.5GB Ram

Strawberry Field, Jul 15, 2008
  11. ricardo

niem102

It seems to me that the SSD is the problem with pretty slow write speeds. I don't actually have it yet, but that's what I gather from reading through these forums.

niem102, Jul 15, 2008
  12. ricardo

nalmeida

Change from ntfs to fat 32, I installed a full version of XP Pro and it only took 45 min, installing office at the moment.

I'll try to buy the extra ram today, I know I'll have to get SO-DIMM DDR2 but it's the frequency also important? Can I use a 667 Mhz one, or should I stick with 533?

nalmeida, Jul 15, 2008
  13. ricardo

Flaterik

667 it's the right frequency. Using 2 ram with 2 different frequency it's not a good solution. The faster ram go as the slowly

Flaterik, Jul 15, 2008
  14. ricardo

glibdud

Either will work. The only advantage you'll get out of RAM faster than 533 is the ability to later move it to another laptop that has a faster bus speed.

glibdud, Jul 15, 2008
  15. ricardo

Guest Guest

This post is confusing, doesnt the standard memory run at 533 MHz (this is what I have seen documented online) so running anything faster wont be of any benefit on this machine.

Guest, Jul 15, 2008
  16. ricardo

nullimage

I managed to install more RAM, a 1GB SODIMM, and now i've noticed a small lump on the back, right where the module went.. i suppose it's probably the module's fault. Has anyone noticed anything like this?

nullimage, Jul 16, 2008
  17. ricardo

Strawberry Field

Right FSB speed is 667Mhz, but Acer announced 533Mhz RAM will be ideal for this computer.

Strawberry Field, Jul 16, 2008
  18. ricardo

remi.rez

Hi all, I'm a newbie here. Happy owner of a EEE 701 ans ince last night an Aspire One.
    As most you have done or will do, the first thing I wanted to do was to upgrade the RAM. I followed the guide and struggled a bit but eventually managed to get to the DIMM slot and add 1Gb.
    After screwing eveything back together, the Touchpad doesn't work anymore. I've fiddled witht he ribbon a hundred times to make sure it was into place but without any success.
    Ehen I plug a usb mouse, it work without problem , the keyboard and Wifi work, the SSD works, the monitor works. Only the touchpad and its buttons give me grief.
    Using the usb mouse I went into Linpus settings to try and acces the Touchpad settings but it came up with an error message telling me that some line in the xorg.conf file had to be set to true. I checked the said file and it is set tot true.
    I don't really know what to do?

Could it be Linpus problem, would it be solved once I install Win XP? Is it a hardware problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

remi.rez, Jul 16, 2008
  19. ricardo

glibdud

Wait, so the A1 in default configuration runs with a 667MHz FSB?

glibdud, Jul 16, 2008
  20. ricardo

Strawberry Field

Sorry, it was wrong information,

Atom N270's right FSB is 533Mhz and Mobile Intel® 945GSE Express Chipset supports DDR2 400 or 533 MHz only.

And, remi.rez. This might be stupid advice though, but technicaly the touch pad is not complicate device. If you still have some problem that must be caused by either connectivity issue or disabled by accidental hotkey combination. You'd better to check the cable connection one more time.

Strawberry Field, Jul 16, 2008
Ask a Question