Acer aspire one on Linux Recycle bin

Discussion in 'Linux' started by StanleyMorgan, Aug 18, 2009.

1. StanleyMorgan

StanleyMorgan

I got an acer aspire one as a gift. I am not good with computers, even the very basic stuff. I had used windows previously.
    I use my acer aspire one for browsing, checking emails , the general normal stuff. My question is, is there are a recylce bin on it or trash can, something? Where do things go when i delete them? My hard drive disc space used to be3.6 GB, it has shrunk to 3.2GB and i have not downloaded anything, just deleted a few things i got as attachments in my email.
    Kindly help me if possible. Thanks

StanleyMorgan, Aug 18, 2009
  2. StanleyMorgan

fweigel

Open "My Documents". Select "Go" from the menu, and then "Trash". The trash will show up. Then "File" "Empty Trash" will empty the trashcan.

fweigel, Aug 18, 2009
  3. StanleyMorgan

unclebob

I've tried fweigel's solution because I have the same problem. Unfortunately when I open trash from "go", the my documents window just closes without any reaction at all. Any other ideas how to empty the trash? Thanks.

unclebob, Aug 19, 2009
  4. StanleyMorgan

fweigel

Now THAT is weird. But there are more ways to skin a cat...

In the text bar at the upper centre-right (right side of the "button bar", whatever you call it) in the file manager, you can type direct locations. Enter "trash:///" (not the quotes, though), and enter. This should also access your trash.

If this doesn't work, perhaps your trash is damaged (missing). In a terminal, try

$ ls -al ~ | grep Trash
    drwx------ 2 user user 4096 2009-07-03 23:20 .Trash
    drwx------ 2 user user 4096 2008-11-02 18:05 .Trash-500

(the ~ is a tilde). You should see something like the output here. Post your results, or, if you are missing .Trash, create it: "mkdir ~/.Trash". Or not, because if you are missing the trash, it won't accumulate! (which may be a good thing).

fweigel, Aug 20, 2009
  5. StanleyMorgan

unclebob

I typed trash:///, that kills the window just like when I go->trash.
    It seemed I didn't have a .trash folder so I made one as you suggested. didn't help though as of course there's nothing in it.

I now have this:
    drwxrwxr-x 2 user user 4096 2009-08-21 22:32 .Trash
    drwx------ 4 user user 4096 2009-08-04 21:54 .Trash-500

The trash-500 folder has very little in it. Somehow though in the trash is the contents of a UsB drive with some photos on it that I deleted, because the space remaining is only 700mb.

so help still needed skinning that cat in a different way please!

unclebob, Aug 21, 2009
  6. StanleyMorgan

fweigel

Unclebob

Ok, I've got to think on this a bit. In the meantime, Shift-Delete will erase files in the file manager WITHOUT putting them into the trash. Now, if .Trash and .Trash-500 are empty, you don't have any accumulated trash, and this should be ok for you. Still, its confusing that your trash isn't working. I'll work on trying to replicate (but, I don't work for Acer, and it's the weekend, so I only have an hour or two to play with it).

More later,
    fweigel

fweigel, Aug 21, 2009
  7. StanleyMorgan

RockDoctor

.Trash-500 apparently containes photos you deleted, but you did not empty the trash, so the space isn't completely free yet. If you moun the USB drive with the photos, then empty the trash, it'll actually free up the space

RockDoctor, Aug 22, 2009
  8. StanleyMorgan

StanleyMorgan

@fweigel
    Thank you so very much. I tried the first option you suggested, going to my documents and then to trash from there and it works! Thank you again.
    While you might check back on this topic, here is another little problem i am facing, unaware if it really is a problem. When i click on " tools" and go don the drop down menu where it says " clear private data" it does not open any small window for me to choose anything from, it just clears the private date, Is this normal? I mean is it supposed to work that way or should it not open a small window with options to clear cookies etc, past history but keep the saved passwords etc? Or is there another place to go for that stuff ? Lastly, everything i download it is automatically saved in " my videos" be it an attachment, a picture anything and while it is being saved, it asks me where to save it, i cant seem to click on my documents, or music or anything else although they are there on screen.
    Thanks in advance.

StanleyMorgan, Aug 23, 2009
Ask a Question