ACER ASPIRE ONE - LINUX OR JAVA PROBLEM?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mobanded, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mobanded

mobanded

Hi. I am an old (very) person with a new AAO and I have a problem I hope can be resolved by you youngsters out there.

I can log on to my chosen website. My password and other details are accepted. When the front page appears I have a number of choices and they all work fine, with the exception of an option that should give me a chart of various stock market data. The new window appears and indicates the job was done, but thereafter a white screen appears (no chart) and the message "START: APPLET NOT INITIALISED".

If an explanation of what is wrong (in simple terms please) would be very much appreciated.

Regards
    Ed

mobanded, Jan 12, 2009
  2. mobanded

Grim Squeaker

It is quite possible you are correct when calling this a java problem.

To test this, I suggest replacing the installed version of java with the official one from Sun Microsystems. Instructions to do so can be found here:
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/09/inst ... e-one.html

Note: you can open a terminal from within the filemanager (it is an option in one of the menus) or by pressing ALT+F2 and typing
    Code:
    terminal
    in the run box that should appear.

Grim Squeaker, Jan 12, 2009
  3. mobanded

d_shamrock

HI, i tried to do what it says, but when i try to paste the first lines of command into terminal it wont paste it, what am i doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

d_shamrock, Jan 12, 2009
  4. mobanded

meng

Use SHIFT+INS to paste into terminal (not CTRL-V).

meng, Jan 12, 2009
  5. mobanded

d_shamrock

hi again, i done all the the above and still cant get java to run with yahoo games etc, it asks me to download plugin, i done this and opened file, it then says file does not exist, iam new to linux and anymore help would be great thaks

d_shamrock, Jan 12, 2009
  6. mobanded

meng

Can you open a terminal and type:
    java -version
    and post back the result?
    Also, when you visit the java testing website, can you tell EXACTLY what version of java (with all the numbers) is being reported?

meng, Jan 12, 2009
  7. mobanded

mobanded

FOR GRIM SQUEAKER

Thanks so much for your help and advice. My problem now resolved and I am getting charts.

Best wishes for the new year.

Regards

Ed

mobanded, Jan 13, 2009
  8. mobanded

d_shamrock

Hi again Meng, this is what i got when i opened terminal ......

java version "1.7.0"
    IcedTea Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-b21)
    IcedTea Client VM (build 1.7.0-b21, mixed mode)

Now after i tried to install java from the method above i cannot now test my version of java on the sun website, i asks me to install a plugin, run time enviroment, when i try this it wont allow it, i tried installing manually, but it then says file does not exist. Sorry for my ignorance on all this, and i do appreciate the help you are giving.

d_shamrock, Jan 13, 2009
  9. mobanded

meng

You have the open-source java installed, and that is why some java applications and applets will not work for you. I don't know if you have Sun java installed as well, you may or you may not. Go back to the macles link and follow all the instructions there.

Once you do have Sun java installed, you still need to specify which of the Javas is your preferred one. There are two options, and both are mentioned in the macles link provided (you said you followed the instructions there but obviously you didn't)*:
    *The reason I'm sounding tetchy here is to stress a point: there is help available here, but it is enormously important to provide details of exactly what you did and what the result was. Otherwise the rest of us have to guess what might be wrong, and frankly most of us don't have the time or the patience to do so. I hope that we can get this problem sorted out (then you can move on to another problem :D )

meng, Jan 13, 2009
  10. mobanded

d_shamrock

At last ive got it installed and working, you were right when you said i had not fully followed the instructions, i had not switched between installed and sun version :oops: ......

Thanks for your help,

oh and next problem......i cannot change the screen resolution, but i see that reading through the forum that it cannot be changed, but i will live with that, iam just happy that i managed to install something on linux at my 5th attemt :D

Once again thanks for your help.

d_shamrock, Jan 14, 2009
  11. mobanded

meng

Very pleased! Hope you enjoy the games.

meng, Jan 14, 2009
  12. mobanded

vince750i

Hi. Sorry to be really annoying, I have done everything possible to install the version of Java that works with pretty much everything. I removed the IcedTea version and now all I get is Mozilla And the Java website telling me to install the missing plugin. I have tried this and Mozilla is telling me to Manually Install. This isn't working either. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I have bought this AAO for my 8-year-old-son and he is desperate to be able to run Java on a website called Powder Games. Thanks in advance.

vince750i, Jan 22, 2009
  13. mobanded

meng

What is "everything possible"? Can you recall exactly what you did?

meng, Jan 23, 2009
  14. mobanded

vince750i

To be perfectly honest, I don't know if I can remember as I have spent two days solid trying to sort java out.
    I first followed all the info under the "macles" link and still could not get Java to run on a website called Powder Games
    I then decided to install Firefox 3 from the same link. I done this with no problems at all.
    I installed FF3 thinking it would install the add-on for the above site, It didn't.

I click on the 'install add-on' and the next window that opens has a tick in the box for Java Runtime Environment. I click next and it tells me it could not be installed.
    It then tells me to Manually install it. I am then directed to the Java website and I install from this link
    Linux RPM (self-extracting file) filesize: 18.66 MB .

I am then directed to the 'open with xarchiver (default) box
    It then installs via FF3 and when it's finished, I get a box appear saying-
    "Can't open file "/tmp/jre-6u11-linux-i586-rpm.bin": Archive format is not recognized!

I don't know if this is enough info. If not, I will try to explain more if needed.

Thank you for getting back to me, very much appreciated.

vince750i, Jan 23, 2009
  15. mobanded

vince750i

Sorry. I have just remembered that while I was installing Java via the 'macles' link, I remover the IcedTea version as it said I could do that, but I'm thinking it may of shared some files with Java to enable Java Runtime to run.

Thanks again.

vince750i, Jan 24, 2009
  16. mobanded

meng

Just returned from convention, sorry for the delay. Obviously with this error, you don't have Java installed at all.

You don't want to OPEN the file from Firefox, you want to SAVE it and then RUN it.

If you follow the instructions here:
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/09/inst ... e-one.html

starting with the first 2 commands, which are TERMINAL commands, nothing to do with Firefox you see:
    Code:
    wget -O jre-6u10.rpm.bin [url]http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=25050[/url]
    sudo bash jre-6u10.rpm.bin
    you will install Java (possibly update 10, not update 11, but that's no big deal.

Now, if you want to do it your way, you have to SAVE the file from Firefox, then open a terminal, navigate to your download location, and run the file as superuser.

e.g., if it is in the Desktop folder of your home directory (a.k.a. ~/Desktop), then open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    sudo bash <name of java file you just downloaded>

meng, Jan 26, 2009
  17. mobanded

vince750i

It's now all working 100%. Thank you so much for your help, It really is appreciated very much.
    My son is over the moon.

Thanks again, Vince :D

vince750i, Jan 26, 2009
Ask a Question