Acer Aspire One has to be one of the worst things I have EVE

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by SirrahTech, Oct 25, 2008.

1. SirrahTech

SirrahTech

Acer Aspire One has to be one of the worst things I have EVER brought!

Im a self employed fully qualified MCSE.

There is no instructions on how to download and install anything, you cannot update the browser, and the IM program does not work!
    £179 for this piece of rubbish is a cheek

I purchased mine yesterday from Tesco, its going back there tomorrow.

Never will buy anything Acer again. NEVER!!!

The TV Ad and the promoting of this product is misleading and Trading Standards will be hearing about it first thing on Monday Morning!

Mike Machlachlan

SirrahTech, Oct 25, 2008
  2. SirrahTech

Mosser

I have got to say that even my wife managed to install a game on hers, and even customised the desktop herself having never used Linux ever, so if she can do it, i would have thought an MCSE qualified tech would be able to figure it out !

Your not doing your company any favours with your post above, i as is likely, lots of other people that see your post, will remember to stay away from sirrahtech.com in the future if this is how you handle problems like this !

Mosser, Oct 26, 2008
  3. SirrahTech

SirrahTech

My company was formed in Edinburgh in 2003 , to provide bespoke consultancy and support to small to medium sized companies and individuals. We quickly developed a strong client base amongst the rural businesses and became a respected force in both our online and in-house services.

Our continued success is largely due to client satisfaction. Virtually all of our business is done either with existing clients who are happy with the work we have done for them, or with new clients who have had us recommended.

It gets even better... In December 2007 we completed a total upgrade of our systems, as part of this upgrade our website is now being redesigned to reflect our new and improved services.

In the IT world my opinion is valued and respected.

Mike

PS, MCSE Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. Im not qualified in that crap that is Linux

SirrahTech, Oct 26, 2008
  4. SirrahTech

oVerload77

Is this really necessary? If you don't like you AA1, return it. Why come to a forum of obvious AA1 fans to complain. I for one think the AA1 is well worth the money. I've had Ubuntu, XP, and OSX installed on this little computer, and it works great. Wasn't too hard to figure out. There are a lot of great, intelligent people here, all helping each other figure this stuff out. If you want to participate and LEARN how to use your AA1, have a look around. There are guides and how-to's all over.

Ron
    (If you want to throw around letters, how about A+, Network+, CCNA, CCNP)

oVerload77, Oct 26, 2008
  5. SirrahTech

rbil

I hate to break the news to you, but in the IT world, a diploma such as MCSE is like saying someone at Mcdonald's has mastered the culinary arts. The very fact that you've been unable to get a handle on Linux is proof enough that Microsoft has sheltered you from understanding how a computer really works.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 26, 2008
  6. SirrahTech

bobster

I nearly fell of my seat when I read this post...

Well , I'm also a self employed IT consultant but fortunately enough I am savvy enough to know that there is more to IT than the empire of Gates and like it or not, Linux in its various forms is
    here to stay. As more and more people get fed up with the trash that comes from Redmond and the ever growing army of 'experts' that it promotes, the more Linux will grow.

I'm not getting into a slanging match but as a professional with more than 20 years experience, I can tell you that you ignore Linux and Unix in general at your peril. Your MCSE isn't worth much these
    days and you're terribly blinkered if you think you can continue to stay in business riding on Windoze alone.

I think you would be wise to embrace the onslaught of Linux and Unix in general as open source will rule web 2.0 like it or not.

bobster, Oct 26, 2008
  7. SirrahTech

Brian10161

rofl

Wow, even I figured out how to install stuff under the default linux os. Man, that is pathetic. Seriously, think about what you say when you post.

By the way, you can install Windows on these systems if that makes you feel better :p

Brian10161, Oct 26, 2008
  8. SirrahTech

scottro

Wow. (I'm an MCSE and CCNA, but work as a Linux adminstrator.)

Our company is big enough to have a separate WIndows Admin, and while we joke about the differences, we respect each other's skills.

They both have merits. Linpus is not a very good Linux distribution for a variety of reasons, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, whenever I see this Linux is better, Windows is better, Mac rules, FreeBSD is for those love Unix and those Linux losers are just those who hate Windows, I always think of the old rap song.
    My milkshake brings all the boys to da yard
    And they're like, it's better than yours
    D**n right, it's better than yours
    I'd teach you but I'd have to charge

Subsitute milkshake with O/S and boys with geeks, and there you have it.

All that being said--it's not all that easy becoming an MCSE unless you cheat, so I wouldn't put it in the McDonald's category. Both, as well as the BSDs and Mac servers are used in mission critical high impact posistions, so let's not even get into that.

As for Linpus, yes, it has some use on that 8 GB SSD version, but if you browse around the forums, you'll see many experienced Linux users who don't like it.
    And yes, it has a horrendous lack of documentation--these forums and the links provided, such as the estimable macles are about the only documentation that exists.

As someone who definitely prefers Linux to MS, I would certainly concede that to someone used to MS documentation, Linux documentation is often obscure and hard to find. In contrast to clicking help, putting in a few key words and getting answers with examples, it often involves a great deal of googling to find instructions that were written for someone who doesn't need them. That is changing, and is far better than it was years ago, but the documentation is certainly not up to the level of Windows or Mac. The BSDs are, generally speaking, much better about docs, but still, a skilled Windows Admin would probably have some difficulty doing something as relatively simple as adding a user to a group.

I do believe, by the way, that many have successfully installed XP to the 8GB SSD version, though I was a bit of the opposite--bought the hard drive WIndows version and wiped Windows off without booting it.

scottro, Oct 26, 2008
  9. SirrahTech

dattaway

This is going to be an EPIC thread!

dattaway, Oct 26, 2008
  10. SirrahTech

nmesisca

dude..
    stop whining, get a book and start reading
    i wouldnt think you have a problem doing that since you must have done it before to get the MCSE
    unless you didnt know what you were buying into (hardware wise), I hope you had an idea of the software limitation of the Linpus distro..

nmesisca, Oct 26, 2008
  11. SirrahTech

bobster

I have to agree with what scottro said. I am a Unix professional and 90% of my day to day life is Unix, for the sake of diversity and to be able to service my clients to the best of my
    ability I too am an MCSE. Whilst I can see the benefits of the Windows product range, I can also see how badly executed Vista was compared to the development of the new hive of Linux
    versions such as Ubuntu and the others to a degree.

I do however find it astonishing that an IT Professional in todays marketplace is prepared to right of Linux so quickly.

In business its not about what is best or what is a favourite, its all about what is best for your clients needs and sometimes Windows fits but I've yet to find a place where Linux or Unix in general
    wouldn't fit just as well, apart from application 'must run on Windows' cases.

As far as cost of ownership is concerned, a major consideration these days, Linux is miles ahead and always will be.

Get yourself out of the sand man (sirratech) and start asking some questions, its not a playground you know. Nobody is going to slag you off for asking for advice.

bobster, Oct 26, 2008
  12. SirrahTech

rbil

I agree, there is a place for Windows. I just installed it on a client's box today, in a Virtual Machine. Got to keep that puppy isolated from the real world. :)

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 26, 2008
  13. SirrahTech

Chicago_Jake

My guess is that our thread starter is a Troll, looking to stir things up.

Chicago_Jake, Oct 26, 2008
  14. SirrahTech

scottro

I am not a skilled MCSE anymore. I had to click help to move someone from one group to another (our Windows admin was tied up with something else.) Like anything else, if you don't use it, you lose it.
    On the other hand, had the situation been reversed, he couldn't have just clicked help--it's times like that when one does realize what a good job MS has done with documentation. The Windows admin would have had to google to figure out how to change a group membership and probably had to spend an hour wading through samba docs to find something relatively simple.

Let me make it clear I am NOT putting him down for that--I'm pointing out that MS has much better documentation, more easily found, than Linux does.
    Actually, on my old job we used a lot more BSD, which is probably my first love. Coming back to Linux after years of BSD docs, I was in shock for the first few weeks.

One quick example for RH and CentOS folks---in FreeBSD, every service that is run at startup has a reasonably detailed man page. So, looking at the services run at boot on some of our servers, I'd type man <whatever> and find there was no man page. Then, I would look in /usr/share/doc to find one or two unhelpful sentences. I quickly discovered the mjmwired pages, but I was surprised that an enterprise like RH would have such shoddy documentation.

A quick tip for all--if a Linux man page seems obscure, quite often, the BSD man pages (whether Free, Net or Open) will be much clearer. They have this amazing thing that many (though of course not all) Linux and Gnu doc writers have yet to discover. It's called EXAMPLES. It's a big help. :)

The above is a generalization of course, and like most generalizations, many exceptions can be found. For example, the fluxbox man page is written by someone who obviously really likes the program and wants others to use it. It's full of enthusiasm.

scottro, Oct 26, 2008
  15. SirrahTech

Tamrac

I'm a self empolyed photographer.... and I have no problem doing anything on any PC/Laptop.... hmmm ;)

Looks like the problem is not the Acer Aspire One my friend. Rethink your post. :lol:

Tamrac, Oct 26, 2008
  16. SirrahTech

digivampire

LOL! I would have thought that someone as MCSE would have had at least enough knowledge to install Windows on AA1 if he didn't have enough "expertise" to understand Linpus or whatever Linux distro was installed on it. Apparently you failed at both. I would even bet you never realized you could install Windows on it.

Instead of bitching about it, all you had to do was look up for the quick tutorial on how to install Windows through a USB stick. Yes, I understand it may be little over your league to modify a Windows Setup, I'm sure they didn't train you for that in MCSE. But not to worry there's plenty of people here that can help you with that.

Hopefully we all can give you a pointer or two, to get your expertise to a new level...

Cheers.

digivampire, Oct 26, 2008
  17. SirrahTech

joseph

Been following this thread' am not as technical savvy as you guys with letters after your name,but i was amused at the definition of sirrah Noun 1. sirrah - formerly a contemptuous term of address to an inferior man or boy; often used in anger
    :D

joseph, Oct 26, 2008
  18. SirrahTech

daldred

..but will probably only be usable if you install Internet Explorer.

daldred, Oct 26, 2008
  19. SirrahTech

bobster

I think we better close this thread or come back to point. Sure microsoft have fairly decent documentation but lets be honest, they have had since 1986 to come up with it.

The very first version of windows I ever saw was back in 1986 on an Apricot Xen and it wasn't very graphical. Point is that they have had plenty of time to create a suite of docs.

In reality, every single command you could ever use in any version of Unix beit Redhat, Ubuntu or whatever will have a man page, sure you have to type a command to display the
    page and it's not as 'pretty' as the MS help but the point is that the documentation is there. Linux is for techies, its an OS born from the desire to be different and open and that has
    made it what it is today. Sure it requires a bit more savvy than a simple point and click OS but I'd rather have an OS that has just what I need and not megs and megs of useless and
    processor hungry DLL's to process, nice idea but its lost its way.

For the Linux novice there is a wealth of information available, its a pity that sirratech bought the cheapest version with the 8gb ssd and Linpus, he should have gone for the windows
    version then he would have been in his comfort zone and perhaps installed Ubuntu for his first taste of Linux.

Lets stop the slanging matches now, its kind of taking away the point of us all being here.

bobster, Oct 26, 2008
  20. SirrahTech

loopyoyo

hence why the aao is a netbook....supposed to be used for surfing the net, typing a paper...one thing it is not is a multimedia powerhouse...if you want one of those then get a full notebook dude

loopyoyo, Oct 26, 2008
Ask a Question