Acer Aspire One error light

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by stechas, Feb 2, 2011.

1. stechas

stechas

Hi

Hope someone can assist, my one does not power up.
    When I press the power button the battery light flashes 4 quick then four slow.
    Nothing else happens, if I remove the battery nothing happens with power cables in

Any thoughts

Stephen

stechas, Feb 2, 2011
  2. stechas

Ballistic

Hi there, I have the same problem. After leaving the acer on overnight, it now fails to start either with the battery connected or not.
    Without the battery connected and the ac adapter connected there are no lights, no activity, no boot, nothing on pressing the power button.
    With the battery connected there is 4 quick then 4 slow orange flashes from the power light?

Any help appreciated, the offical acer site is currently down.

Ballistic, Feb 12, 2011
  3. stechas

Swarvey Moderator

Can you borrow a power lead? Sounds like both of you have defective AC cables.

Swarvey, Feb 12, 2011
  4. stechas

Ballistic

Thanks for your answer. That's what I thought, but I've tested the AC lead with a multimeter and it's putting out a steady 19 volts. Any other ideas?

Ballistic, Feb 12, 2011
  5. stechas

Swarvey Moderator

Volts are one thing, amps are another. If you're 100% certain it's not your AC lead, you could have a problem with the charge socket and might need to replace that (it's been done before, just requires some soldering), or you might have a defective charging circuit on the mobo, which sadly means you need a new mobo, or just another method of charging the battery.

Swarvey, Feb 12, 2011
  6. stechas

Ballistic

I tell you what - you could be right. I've just realised that the charging unit (the power supply on the ac lead) is freezing cold. - but iT IS putting out 19 volts. I'm sure this used to feel warm when operating?

Ballistic, Feb 12, 2011
  7. stechas

Swarvey Moderator

My D250 has a 12 cell (9.5-10.5hr) battery, which means I usually end up leaving my charger pllugged in to the wall full time, but only ever plug it into the AAO to charge every third day or so, but even though it's not being used to charge, it's still pretty warm. It might be worth looking at.

Swarvey, Feb 13, 2011
  8. stechas

Ballistic

Just to confirm for any future readers that this sequence of flashing lights did turn out to be that the battery was drained and the power supply dead. Buying a new power supply resolved the issue.
    thanks

Ballistic, Feb 16, 2011
Ask a Question