Acer Aspire One Easy & Fun Solderless Touch Screen KIT

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Aspire_OneMAn, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Aspire_OneMAn

Explosivo

is there a way to right click with the touchscreen fitted?

Explosivo, Dec 10, 2009
  2. Aspire_OneMAn

jerryt

In Windows 7 a circle appears after a second and then the right click menu. In XP there are add on utilities which provide the right click.

jerryt, Dec 10, 2009
  3. Aspire_OneMAn

kc8jdc

Hello,

I just bought the Visual Touch World kit from ebay for my AOA150 8.9". I installed it very easily. After installing the downloaded driver it works GREAT in XP and works great without a driver in 7. However I am unable to get it to work in OSX (10.5.8).

OSX "knows" it has a touchscreen because I can move the mouse pointer up and down. It moves inversely left and right but I am unable to click or calibrate. I have downloaded 2 or 3 different drivers all with the same result. The drivers all install correctly, I restart, run the application, there is nothing in the "Interface" section and there is no action when I click the "Draw Test", "4 pts Cal", or the "Advanced" button. I am using the Touchkit 1.15.7029 and have tried the eGalaxTouch 1.16.9.9106

UPDATE: I have just tried reversing the direction the ribbon cable was plugged into the controller harness. No change for the interface section, but the axis seems worse (right moves the cursor up)

Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Jonathan

kc8jdc, Feb 23, 2010
  4. Aspire_OneMAn

longjohn412

Any thoughts?

My first thought is Apple drivers seem to blow as badly as Microsoft and Linux drivers do .... LOL

Sounds like a driver problem to me, sorry I can't be of any more help but I haven't used an Apple product since they sued and kept people from Open Sourcing their hardware platform like IBM did over 20 years ago ....

longjohn412, Feb 24, 2010
  5. Aspire_OneMAn

goaten2000

Don't know if this will help but I also got my touchscreen kit from visualtouchworld for my D250 and was a little confused as the wires were really short - turned out that the controller board actually sits behind the lcd rather than going under the motherboard! (works great btw...)

anyway, I got my drivers directly from eeti here:-
    http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eg/drivers.htm

On their site they've got most, if not all windows drivers (including 7), OX drivers and linux drivers.

Dunno if this helps or not but thought it was worth sharing.

goaten2000, Feb 24, 2010
  6. Aspire_OneMAn

Muzafsh

Got my Touch screen order delivered today,
    Will be sitting on this soon.
    :)

Muzafsh, Apr 6, 2010
  7. Aspire_OneMAn

Muzafsh

Hi,

One simple question !

Will applying the screen guard

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
    ViewItem&item=370249320611&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:I
    T

to the installed touch screen affect the functionality of the touch screen and its various touch gestures ?

My doubt arises from the fact that the screen guard is 'touching' the touch panel at all times(i mean as its pasted over it). Will this drive the touch device crazy as its designed to be sensitive to a touch, I mean can it tell the difference between the touch that we make and the screen guard which is always in a state of touch :) when pasted over it.

ANYBODY WHO HAS ALREADY DONE THIS WITHOUT EXPERIENCING ANY PROBLEMS.

Muzafsh, Apr 15, 2010
  8. Aspire_OneMAn

Muzafsh

Muzafsh, Apr 15, 2010
  9. Aspire_OneMAn

Muzafsh

Hi, As per jerryT's advise(over private message) of positioning the Touch screen controller on top of the hard disk between the Motherboard and the Daughterboard, i'd just like to know if i cover the entire exposed Harddisk over that place with kapton tape(in order to place the TS controller along with the striped BT and Wi-fi usb's) , will it affect the harddisk or its performance in any way ?
    Does the exposed hard disk have any specific areas to be kept ventilated and the tape avoided ? If so please let me know the precise area's of the HDD that need to be kept exposed.
    thanks in advance.

Muzafsh, Apr 16, 2010
  10. Aspire_OneMAn

Muzafsh

Forgot to add one more thing...
    the touchscreen seller has included a copper foil, the size of the TS controller. I am not sure how does that come in handy, does it need to be applied on top of the TS controller or the bottom(if so what is the use of the same), if its to the bottom then i fear the copper foil stands a great risk of shorting the circuitry or components of the TS controller board. If its for heat dissipation then i believe it needs to be properly wraped in non conducting tape(kapton tape) am i right ?
    or
    Would it be best to leave it out as every MM of thickness of devices counts in the already tight interiors of the Aspire One ?

Muzafsh, Apr 16, 2010
  11. Aspire_OneMAn

leveldowen

Thank you. I bought the visualtouchworld kit off ebay (got 'em down to $77+shipping for a total of $90), and for a few hours I was really regretting it as I thought it wouldn't work with the D250, since a couple people had brought up the issue of the camera usb being combined with the monitor cable. The first time I had the monitor bezel off I noticed that the plug was on the camera and not on the mobo, so I wasn't that worried about the connection. But I was worried about where to stash the usb hub, as there isn't any open space in the bottom half, and my Broadcom Crystal HD decoder takes up the full pci slot on the underside of the mobo. If you happened to take any pictures of the install, I'd love to see them. I'm still a little apprehensive about how its all going to fit, but I can't wait for it to get here. In conclusion, thank you, you have alleviated the feeling that I just wasted $90.

leveldowen, Apr 20, 2010
  12. Aspire_OneMAn

WietHere

I don't want to disappoint anyone, but I just removed my TouchScreen with anything that came with it.
    I had fun installing it and it worked perfectly for a year but the wires at the hinges kept on breaking and i couldn't find a solution for that, there's simply no room. Another important issue is loss of quality of the screen, colour and clarity.
    As if you see it through dirty water. Again it was fun and a challenge but I'm glad I got my Acer back as it was.
    Succes and have fun!

WietHere, Apr 30, 2010
  13. Aspire_OneMAn

nearxos

hello. i would like to ask something if anybody knows.
    i receive today my touch screen from visualtouchworld. to install it on an hp mini. i connected the controller to the webcam cable. but it didntwork . i also test it through external usb. but the only thing it shows in windows is that my usb device is malfunctioning. i contacted the seller and he told me that the controller is design only for acer. because the output voltage from the camera is 3.5 v on the acer and that i need another controler for the hp mini.
    btw on his site in the specifications of the controller it says that the output voltage is 5 v and i thing that all the usb are 5 v.

so i want to know if what the seller told me is true.? i need a different controller for my hp mini?

nearxos, May 18, 2010
  14. Aspire_OneMAn

fsommer1968

Hi,

i had a similar problem with my touchpad kit on an AAO: with camera cable installed: USB malfunction (and the camera module gets hot!) , without camera cable installed: everything works fine (except camera). I don´t know any details about HP and camera voltage, but I know that the cables not neccesarily have the original USB pin layout. In other words: (1) Check whether your touchscreen works without the camera being connected. (2) Check the USB cable that is intended to be used for the camera connection whether the PIN layout fits to the PIN layout of the camera.

fsommer1968, May 19, 2010
  15. Aspire_OneMAn

bigdoe1014

Does anyone know where to buy the usb adapter for the hub or does anyone know the part number? I've looking trying to find the part name. I look to take apart a flash drive and attach it to the usb hub, but I don't want to so any soldering. Help anyone?

bigdoe1014, May 27, 2010
  16. Aspire_OneMAn

rich_l

Has anyone installed a touchscreen on a AOD255 or AOD260?

I don't want to be the first! :(

rich_l, Jan 15, 2011
  17. Aspire_OneMAn

schiznatch

Did anyone that has installed the Solderless Touch Screen Kit try out how it works with the Windows 8 Dev Preview? I'm intereseted to see whether it behaves like another form of a mouse or is it true touch screen like a tablet.

(Sorry for the necro, but this was the best place to post this question)

schiznatch, Nov 15, 2011
Ask a Question