Acer Aspire One Easy & Fun Solderless Touch Screen KIT

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Aspire_OneMAn, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Aspire_OneMAn

Aspire_OneMAn

Aspire_OneMAn, Nov 3, 2008
  2. Aspire_OneMAn

wildebeest

wildebeest, Nov 3, 2008
  3. Aspire_OneMAn

lotus49

Has anyone tried this? If so, how were the results and how did it fit.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has done this.

lotus49, Nov 3, 2008
  4. Aspire_OneMAn

zeusenergy

Awesome! It includes a USB hub and taps into the camera too! Nice find.

zeusenergy, Nov 4, 2008
  5. Aspire_OneMAn

annafil

man I want one too! this could be really sweet...

annafil, Nov 6, 2008
  6. Aspire_OneMAn

Martin

I've preordered it yesterday - can't wait to receive it!
    I find it a bit expensive, but if it is solderless and allows me to put an internal BT USB dongle, then it is worth the price.

Martin, Nov 6, 2008
  7. Aspire_OneMAn

Aspire_OneMAn

please let us know how the installation goes, thanx

Aspire_OneMAn, Nov 6, 2008
  8. Aspire_OneMAn

hmmwv

I'm actually a little confused about this kit, so according to the diagram, there is a "To PC" connector which suppose to be the USB input. Where should it be connected to? I assume it'll plug into the cable which used to feed the USB camera, since the camera now plug into the touch screen control board/USB hub.

hmmwv, Nov 7, 2008
  9. Aspire_OneMAn

Cyborg

I'm thinking about purchasing this kit, i was wondering if anyone got a install of it up and going nicely

Cyborg, Nov 10, 2008
  10. Aspire_OneMAn

Shad0wguy

It looks like it takes the cameras connection and splits it with a 4-port hub, with one ports going back to the camera, another to the touch screen, and leaves two free for whatever.

Shad0wguy, Nov 10, 2008
  11. Aspire_OneMAn

mcmasterp

I got this today. the install took me over one hour following the instructions. it is awesome. I also put a usb bluetooth dongle inside. the kit comes with 2 extra wires to plug extra things into, one of which I used for the BT. the great part was the wires have a standard usb plug like thing on the one end so all I had to do was plug the BT dongle in!

I couldn't be happier. it doesn't seem to have effected the battery life in a noticable way, but I ordered the 6cell battery anyway. I get about 2 hours out of the 3cell so...

I tweaked a few display settings in windows for bigger scroll bars, etc. so finger use is a breeze. One nice touch is the included stylus. it is a pen/stylus, hold it one way and click and a stylus pops out, rotate the pen and click and you get a black pen!

I also downloaded a drag and scroll firefox addon that makes web browsing so nice, it even has iphone like scrolling. It also works with thunderbird so yeah.

I would recommend this to everyone! combined with the 6cell, and BT I now love my acer more than life. I think if shot at I would shield the laptop with my body.

mcmasterp, Nov 14, 2008
  12. Aspire_OneMAn

priyaradha

Great..could we get a youtube video? See how the response is..?

priyaradha, Nov 14, 2008
  13. Aspire_OneMAn

damoske

I'm thinking of getting this myself - I had been holding out for a touchscreen netbook for ages (there were rumours Gigabyte were going to bring one out, but that seems to have evaporated). I ended up getting the AAO because there's a strong mod following, and it's the cheapest to replace if the mods go bad :)

I saw a YouTube video showing the soldered screen in action, by someone who was running Linplus, MacOSX, Windows - and it looks absolutely awesome - almost like the missing link between an iPod Touch and the Macbook Air. It would be interesting to know if the solderless version is similarly responsive.

D

damoske, Nov 16, 2008
  14. Aspire_OneMAn

sambartle

My kit arrived today in the UK.. (I preordered it on the 6th)

It's absolutely amazing, much better than the eee pc kit I had used previously..

CD has drivers for Windows CE, Windows 2K, XP and Vista, MAC and Linux 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.. and also a good set of installation instructions for the aspire one and a fair number of other devices!

I havent fitted it yet but if it works as well as it looks then its going to be a stunning bit of kit, no scratches or anything on the screen which my EEE one (from a different seller and a different brand) had..

The packaging is as good as any full retail product you'd walk into a shop to buy, I'll drop by later and post about how easy it is too fit.

sambartle, Nov 17, 2008
  15. Aspire_OneMAn

damoske

Looking forward to it. I've heard "over an hour", but that's not too bad - and particularly if being careful / nimble-fingered with it!

damoske, Nov 17, 2008
  16. Aspire_OneMAn

Sneekypete

Ordered this a few days ago. Direct fit to the accer it claims, same seller sells a BT with wiring for 18 bucks so i grabbed that too. I paid $148 for both shipped. Crossing my fingers on a flawless deal, we shall see :|

As it happens my paypal aletered me to the fact i payed fildodildo999 for the trasaction...Is this a good thing? :?

Sneekypete, Nov 17, 2008
  17. Aspire_OneMAn

STNC

When you say you plugged the bluetooth dongle right in, does that mean that it came with an extra female port or what?

STNC, Nov 17, 2008
  18. Aspire_OneMAn

mcmasterp

yup, picture a usb female plug minus the outer shielding.
    see attached photo

mcmasterp, Nov 17, 2008
  19. Aspire_OneMAn

STNC

awesome

STNC, Nov 17, 2008
  20. Aspire_OneMAn

MiniDrivr

How thick is the touchscreen? Can some one post a picture of it on their AA1, maybe from a slight angle Does it fit inside the framed part of the screen or does it go to the edge of the AA1?

MiniDrivr, Nov 17, 2008
Ask a Question