Acer Aspire One D150 - Ram Upgrade

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by hexi-darkness, Sep 7, 2009.

1. hexi-darkness

hexi-darkness

Hello Everyone, I recently decided to upgrade the Ram and soon found out that there was barely any information on how to install ram on the D150. So I decided to figure it out myself. I had looked at many tutorials on older models and they all involved opening up the whole netbook, exposing the motherboard and so on. If you have the D150 you are in luck upgrading the ram to 2gb can be done in under 5 minutes. Anyways here is my tutorial.

What Type of Ram do I need?

The Aspire One D150 takes DDR2 PC2-5300 ram that runs at a speed of 667mhz (SODIMM). At my local computer store a Kingston Module sells for 35$ CND.

Materials:

1 Philips screw driver (small)
    1 Flat head screw driver
    1 Stick of 2gb DDR2 PC2-5300 SODIMM Ram

Installation Process
    1. Unplug everything that is attached to your netbook (External Keyboard, External Mouse, Power cord).
    2. Turn your netbook over so that the bottom is revealed and remove the battery
    3. Make sure the battery Slot is facing away from you like so \/
    [​IMG]
    Note: This Acer has a 6-cell Battery that is still in the unit, do not leave your battery in your netbook.

4. You should see three slots two have only 1 screw holding them in place, the smaller one on the left is your network card and the other is the ram slot.
    5. Start to unscrew the section that contains the ram using your Philips screw driver (the one on the right).
    6. Once your screw is out take your Flat Head screw driver and insert it under the the opening slot.
    7. Carefully Pry open the the top of the ram slot from the bottom side (The side that the screw was one)
    8. The top should pop off and your ram stick is exposed!
    9. Now use your Flat Head screw driver to pry open the small metal bars the are grasping the ram stick, the ram should now slide out and up.
    10. Insert your new stick of ram into the slot and well reverse all operations (apply equal pressure on the new stick of ram when installing).

Good Luck, and thanks is appreciated.

hexi-darkness, Sep 7, 2009
  2. hexi-darkness

CheaperLaptop

Thanks for putting together this easy to understand/step by step guide to upgrading the Aspire One's RAM. I imagine this upgrade would increase this netbook's performance significantly.

CheaperLaptop, Sep 13, 2009
  3. hexi-darkness

Ermine

I have the exact same model (D150). However, after I open up the RAM compartment I cannot dislodge the original RAM card. It does not pull out easily at all and is very difficult to grip tightly enough to pull hard on it.

Ok, rereading this discription maybe I misinterpreted it the first time. Do I actually have to bend some metal parts ("bars") inside the case? (and later bend them back in place?) What do they look like and where exactly are they?
    Should it come out very easily once I've adjusted the metal "bars"?

Ermine, Sep 22, 2009
  4. hexi-darkness

greenfrog

You just push them out to the side, until the ram releases. DO NOT BEND them.

greenfrog, Sep 22, 2009
  5. hexi-darkness

Ermine

You do have to bend out the silver colored slots that hold it in on each side, but they are very flexible and you can probably do this with your fingers.

The Description and additional pictures over here (at Netbook.italia) are quite helpful:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... n&ie=UTF-8

Ermine, Sep 23, 2009
  6. hexi-darkness

Petunia

:) I will let you know how it goes; but I sure appreciate your taking the time to put the instructions on line.

Petunia, Nov 2, 2010
Ask a Question