ACER Aspire One Cloudbook insufficient headroom to instal WIN10 upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Colin Watson, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Colin Watson

Colin Watson

Hi,
    My Aspire One ran out of C:drive headroom to accept Security upgrades. I reset to clean disc and reloaded Windows from supplied KNOWHOW restore USB stick. This left 11GB free. Now SECURITY UPGRADES warn me that the reinstalled version of WIN10 will be upgraded but this needs about 16GB. Three questions

1) Is 11GB free after RESET to be expected ? (This reduced to 8.2GB after first use). Disc Clean and System Clean does not improve matters. I cannot see anything like this usage on examining the C:Drive files
    2) My laptop keeps attempting to upgrade WIN10. Can I block routine upgrades ? (Not ideal !)
    3) Is there a WIN10 UPGRADE which requires less than 11GB or 8.2GB free memory ?

I do not wish to put my ASPIRE ONE in the bin but this is possibly the cheapest option.

Anyone had similar problems ?

Very many thanks,

Colin

Colin Watson, Dec 20, 2017
  2. Colin Watson

something back

Welcome to the laptop forums site

Have you done a “disk clean” up, type disk cleanup in the search button
    when a new box comes up click on the clean systems files.

This will remove all the redundant files.

CHECK in the windows c: drive to see if you have a folder called windows old
    this will be holding over 1gb of files you will not need unless you revert back from windows
    “disk clean” will remove this complete.

Question 2 answer yes here's a help site

https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

QUESTION 3 SORRY NO

something back, Dec 20, 2017
  3. Colin Watson

Colin Watson

Many thanks SB,

Yes I have tried all these things many times without originally getting better that 1.5gb clear which made me clean the disc and start from scratch ! That got me to 11gb. out of the full disc 22GB (I think) My thoughts were that the memory was being reported wrongly since I only had basic WIN10 without Office + Explorer on board. The pre-loaded Win10 from the recover USB Stick initially yielded 11gb without anything else loaded which was still insufficient to meet the MS routine upgrade of 16gb which is unrealistically high for this Laptop.

I will research further but time is money and I have already blown that budget !

I will follow this up with ACER. My son moved to UBUNTU. I am writing Windows applications on my other massively powerful computers. and I run some of them in the Laptop within a Lazarus environment. I find this a good minimal laptop when it is running but it seemingly falls to bits when free space is less that upgrade requirements which cleaning the disc would have resolved if the current upgrade forces a new WIN10 which it cannot implement and just keeps trying regardless. Requiring 16gb I think may be a recent requirement. Certainly my KNOWHOW which came with the Laptop about a year go provided a loadable but out of date installation.

I started witn WIN3 and would have stuck to XP as the last before Microsoft tried to make me a game playing Ipad user !

I greatly appreciate your reply - perfectly constructive as Westminster might suggest !

Thanks,

Colin

Colin Watson, Dec 20, 2017
  4. Colin Watson

something back

Your Knowhow (CURRYS) version will include extra programs that you may not
    fully require this will be taking up space.

YOU WILL STILL need to run disk clean after installing

Try downloading this program it will allow you to download windows 10
    free from Microsoft you will need your serial number to install it.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_counter.php?programid=107698

Don't give up

something back, Dec 20, 2017
  5. Colin Watson

Colin Watson

Thanks SB,

Yes the KNOWHOW adds Mcafee and ACER content which I had not taken into account. I will first uninstall these and see what memory I have.

In practice my mindset sees this as a challenge - even although I would be sensible to bucket everything ! You have certainly widened my options.

Many thanks,

Colin

Colin Watson, Dec 21, 2017
Ask a Question