Acer aspire one 522

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by wizardknow, Aug 10, 2011.

1. wizardknow

wizardknow

Hello,

I'm looking to buy the A0522.

First, I was wondering what is the different between the BZ465 and BZ897 types? since there is no where to find the BZ897.

Second, Is it possible to upgrade the ram to 4 gig? According to the manufacture this laptop is capable of 2 gig max.

Regards.

wizardknow, Aug 10, 2011
  2. wizardknow

nestone

No, the maximum ram for this netbook is 2 gigs. It's a result of the chip set limitation.

nestone, Aug 10, 2011
  3. wizardknow

hemmi

i have 4 gig chip in mine right now. Its only limited by the operating system. You probably have starter edition, i do too. I found a hack somewhere which allow 'starter' to see almost 4 gigs. Whether it takes advantage of it is another question.

hemmi, Aug 11, 2011
  4. wizardknow

biboyvn

I have that one with 2GB DDR3, but I don't know how to config media player to play the 720p videos on it . So I get some pauses on that video. On the websites, they said that it can reach 2.8 score cpu (WEI), but mine is only 2.5.
    to me, I found that it a bit slower than atom N570

biboyvn, Aug 21, 2011
  5. wizardknow

bzdemes

hemmi I just got my 522 today and can confirm it will support upto 4GB in a single module BUT it ships with Windows 7 Starter which is locked at 2GB max and is 32bit so even with some hacks it wont be able to make use of all 4GB. I bought 4GB module installed it (watch some YouTube guides and tread carefully as its a little tricky. Though easier than my first Acer!) then wiped windows and installed a nice clean version of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. This can see and use all 4GB (-256MB which is shared with the Graphics).

biboyvn to get it to playback HD stuff smoothly make sure you have the latest version of the AMD catalyst drivers and installed VLC player. When thats installed go to Tools - Preferences - Input/Codecs and tick the "Use GPU Acceleration" box. Restart all instances of VLC (and windows itself if you have any problems) and try again! It should handle all HD (720p/1080p and various formats) easily! For web video make sure you have the latest version of Flash (10.3 I think) as that also includes GPU Acceleration!

GPU acceleration is what makes AMDs new Fusion chips (C-50) murder Intels Atoms. AMDs GPU tech is just waaaaay better than Intels!

Edit - Windows Index scores for those that are interested (Latest Drivers and Avast running).
    Processor - 2.8
    Memory: 4.9
    Graphics: 4.1
    Gaming Graphics: 5.5
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.4

bzdemes, Sep 2, 2011
  6. wizardknow

robby2k9

Yep, the 522 works well with 4GB installed
    With Win Starter you will get 2GB useable + 256MB for graphics
    With 'proper windows' (I have home premium 32bit) you will get to use 3.49GB useable + 256MB for graphics
    So there will be approx. 256MB that can't be used (unless you install 64bit Win 7)
    With a 2GB upgrade you will only get 1.75GB useable + 256MB for graphics.
    At only 15GBP for 4GB its a bargain.

robby2k9, Sep 2, 2011
  7. wizardknow

jjj

I don't want to (pay for an) upgrade to the OS at present.

Can we just re-confirm this:

So if I upgrade to 2gb, that leaves 1.75 gb usable, as 256 mb is used by graphics.

The better upgrade would be 4gb, which would work out of the box, leave me 2gb usable, 256mb for graphics and 1.75gb wasted, right...?

What spec memory should I get?

jjj, Sep 10, 2011
  8. wizardknow

robby2k9

Most 1333Mhz DDR3 SODIMMs should work
    A friend used a Corsair CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB module.
    I used a cheaper brand - HYPERAM 1333Mhz 4GB module (eBay £15) works fine.
    I have sent you a PM regarding memory usage.
    I would say ALWAYS fit the 4GB module as disassembly can be quite tricky.
    Therefore you don't want to be going in again when you upgrade windows in the future.

robby2k9, Sep 12, 2011
  9. wizardknow

jjj

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, I got impatient and placed an order for some Crucial 2 gb memory before your reply. So I've fitted it today.
    This has transformed the performance from slow to something that's likely to be perfectly acceptable for my mobile computing needs.

To be honest the fitting was really easy.
    1 Unclip the keyboard, which is the same method used on my earlier Acer. Just need a small screwdriver and a knife with a thin blade.
    2 Undo the 4 screws, which are clearly marked by text on the plastic moulding.
    3 Push the rear cover off via a hole that's marked in the plastic moulding too.
    4 Swap memory.

jjj, Sep 17, 2011
Ask a Question