Acer Aspire D255 Disassembly Guide

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by trcx, Jan 19, 2011.

1. trcx

trcx

Will someone please post a guide on how to disassemble the D255. I am looking at buying one and cannot seem to find pictures of the the guts any where. I want to see how easy it would be to add/remove components for future upgrades.

trcx, Jan 19, 2011
  2. trcx

tryptamine

I don't know about posting the service manuals I have, but since I believe the D255 is quite similar to the D260 (moreso than the D255/D260 to the D250, at least), I can give you some general instructions to get down to the main upgradeable parts:

Start by removing the battery and the dummy card in the card reader (or any other cards in there). Remove the keyboard by carefully pushing in the pins behind the F1, F6, F12, Ins and to the right of the \ keys. Make sure they're pushed in fully. Don't press down on the keyboard near any of these areas while the pins are in, or they will just snap back out--very, very frustrating. Be sure to use a plastic or otherwise non-metal tool, unless you're okay with damaging the surfaces (it WILL happen) In my experience, if you can get rubberized/plastic precision screw drivers, the smallest flathead one works great for this purpose. With the pins in, carefully lift the keyboard out; insert a thin item or tool between the keyboard and retaining areas carefully and create something to hold, if necessary. Remove the ZIF connector by pushing out the retaining bracket and sliding the cable out. Be careful not to break the retaining bracket off, and be patient with yourself when figuring out how to get the cable back in and the bracket closed securely onto it, as it takes a bit of trial and error at first.

Unscrew each screw labeled "(1)". With a good-sized pencil or other tool (you ideally don't want to put all the pressure onto a small area--use the eraser end of the pencil! :)), press down through the hole marked (2) to get the plastic bottom cover to snap off. Don't worry too much about scratches or damage here, as there is an inset plastic area beneath the hole expressly for this purpose, though you can certainly stick something soft down into the space or at the end of the screwdriver to avoid the scratches from a metal or other hard-edge tool. Carefully lift the cover off, and you should have easy access to the HD, RAM slots, PCI-E slots, etc.

Let me know if you need any more information.

tryptamine, Apr 4, 2011
  3. trcx

boxorandyos

I signed up here just to say THANK YOU!

boxorandyos, Jun 11, 2014
Ask a Question