Acer Aspire 5740 won't start up

Discussion in 'Acer' started by parker1, Jul 5, 2012.

1. parker1

parker1

My Acer Aspire 5740 laptop has recently come up with the message 'Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause' when i turn it on. It gives me the option to launch setup repair, but when i do it eventually ends up on a blue screen similar to the startup screen only with no login feature or anything to click, and will just stay on this screen as long as i leave it. If i try to start Windows normally it just returns to this windows recovery page eventually. I have tried opening the f8 menu when starting the laptop, and have tried to start the computer in safe mode, and almost all other modes on this menu, but they all just lead back to the original message and windows recovery screen. Any help would be massively appreaciated, and i don't have any original windows disks at the moment so if there was a way to get round this without reinstalling windows via a disk i would reallyt appreciate it!
    Thanks, Will

parker1, Jul 5, 2012
  2. parker1

Swarvey Moderator

You're getting what's known as a BSOD (blue screen of death). It's also referred to as a crash. Towards the bottom of the blue screen is a series of letters and numbers, something like 0x00000000 if you Google the code or post it here, we can help you further. Cheers.

Swarvey, Jul 5, 2012
Ask a Question