Acer Aspire 5535 switches off

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Jocyd, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Jocyd

Jocyd

Hi
    My acer 5535 started switching itselfs off after a few seconds of switch on.
    It won't start in normal mode.
    I eventually got it going by using the debugging option and it started up fine.
    Then when i restarted it, the problem happened again. Debugging didn't work second time round.
    Its now going after i started it by going to restore option.(I got it through pressing F8 at start up)
    I've run my virus scanner on Kaspersky and its clean.
    Please help

Hope this makes sense :(

Jocyd, Mar 26, 2010
  2. Jocyd

Swarvey Moderator

Sounds like it's a software issue, perhaps a driver causing windows to BSOD and die. With XP's default settings, it sometimes only flashes up a quick BSOD for a split second before rebooting.

Have you tested your RAM?
    Memtestx86 is available on almost every Linux distro image I've used
    It is also available here

Is the machine completely shutting down? or rebooting?
    -If so, try hitting F8 and selecting the option to not automatically reboot on an error. This way, if there is a BSOD being thrown up, it'll give you time to read it before rebooting itself. Towards the bottom of the BSOD (if there is one) will be an error code that looks similar to this "0x00000000" you can google that code, or post it here for more help.

Does the machine work in safe mode at all?

To test if it's a software issue, try getting a hold of a Linux distro on a bootable USB key, or just run the Live version from a disk using an external DVD drive. If linux runs fine in live mode, chances are it's a software error in XP, moreso, a driver issue.

If it's a software issue, I'd suggest trying to run a repair-install of XP from disk, otherwise you may be restricted to using the acer restore software, which means losing everything.

Swarvey, Apr 7, 2010
Ask a Question