Acer Aspire 1642 problem

Discussion in 'Acer' started by aaa123, Jun 1, 2011.

1. aaa123

aaa123

Hi,

I have Acer aspire 1642, with Windows XP. It crashed yesterday; now if I restart it it provides me with several options to start the windows with:

1. Start with the last working configuration
    2. "Safe Mode"
    3. "Safe Mode with Networking"
    4. "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"
    5. "Start Windows Normally"

When I start with any option I ends up with a blue screen with some text on it (can't read it as this screen goes away very quickly) and then blue screen disappears and every thing start with scratch!! Could anyone please help!!!

If in case I need to buy a new Windows XP cd, how much it is going to cost and which online place (UK) is the best??!!!!

aaa123, Jun 1, 2011
  2. aaa123

Swarvey Moderator

Next time the machine is booting, repeatedly tap the F8 key to bring up the boot menu, before windows throws it up at you itself. Choose the option to disable the automatic reboot on system failure. The next time the machine BSOD's, the blue screen should stay there, which will enable you to write down the error code. Something along the lines of 0x00000000. Either post the code here, or google it for more information on how to fix the problem.

As for buying a new XP disk, it could be difficult. Your Acer laptop probably came with an OEM version of Windows, therefor will more than likely require OEM install media to operate properly with your product key. Basically if you buy a new windows disk, you'll need to pay full price and use the new product key that came with it. It is possible to save yourself some money and get an OEM install disk via Bit Torrent, or if you're lucky, explain your situation to a friend or local computer technician, who might be able to provide you with a backup copy of the install disk that will work with your key.

Best bet is to diagnose that BSOD code first though.

Swarvey, Jun 1, 2011
  3. aaa123

aaa123

getting followings,

0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0x806CDCC1, 0xF7AC9734,0xF7AC9430)!!!

Notebook Model: AcerAspire1644Wlmi

thanks

aaa123, Jun 2, 2011
  4. aaa123

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

Thanks for posting up the 0x000000000 codes.
    Once quick qustion, this code seems to point toward a driver failure or hardware failure.
    After the codes you have listed is there a description which looks something like this: "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

WUSB54GCx86.sys- Address 92D89498 base at 92D7c000, Datestamp 45c04cc9 "

If so, can you post up the details of what is written in CAPS and the first part of the second line (this is the driver file which has failed if applicable).

Many thanks

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Jun 2, 2011
  5. aaa123

aaa123

i will get these details.

just to add model of my laptop is Acer Aspire 1644wlmi....

do you reckon that computer is broken and dead!!!!! :(

thanks

aaa123, Jun 2, 2011
  6. aaa123

Swarvey Moderator

Highly unlikely that it's dead. The 0x7E error is usually caused by either not enough disk space left for Windows to operate, or a driver malfunction. The filename (displayed in caps under the 0x7E code as elPaulio pointed out) will tell us which driver is the problem, and potentially how to fix the issue.

This Microsoft KB article may be of some assistance: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

Swarvey, Jun 2, 2011
Ask a Question