Acer AOA110 Remove eRecovery Management Partition/software?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by unclelobsterman, Jan 16, 2013.

1. unclelobsterman

unclelobsterman

Hi, I just got a used and extremely buggy AOA110 netbook from a friend that has a 8GB Samsung SSD. I decided to reinstall XP from a AOA150 recovery disc I have, since except for the hard drive the units are identical. I did so without issue, and MS is happy as the recovery installation passed WGA, etc.

My problem is that the AOA150 disc included the eRecovery Management hidden partition that is included on the AOA150 but not on the AOA110 that has the tiny SSD. So my fresh reinstall now includes that eRecovery stuff. I want to remove the eRecovery stuff since every bit of space is precious on the SSD and I've already gotten low disc space messages from XP. Unfortunately there is no way I can find to uninstall it, and it looks like the eRecovery stuff is somehow integrated into the one partition that exists. I've loaded a bunch of different partition programs from UBCD and the only partition that exists is the main one (which is about 7.5GB). I was hoping to find a 100 - 200MB hidden one that I could get rid of but it's not there.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can remove that eRecovery data from the drive (or other ways to free up space)? I would gladly start anew with a AOA110 XP recovery disc but I don't have one and can't find one. Thanks.

unclelobsterman, Jan 16, 2013
  2. unclelobsterman

something back

3. unclelobsterman

unclelobsterman

unclelobsterman, Jan 17, 2013
  4. unclelobsterman

something back

something back, Jan 17, 2013
  5. unclelobsterman

unclelobsterman

I have XP. I'm trying to do an Acer factory reinstall version. I thought I was quite clear in my original post, but thank you.

unclelobsterman, Jan 18, 2013
  6. unclelobsterman

Nestone50

Suggest you do a clean install of XP if that is your operating system. Don't use the Acer recovery disk. All the drivers you need are available on the web, or already on your machine. Just copy them to a USB stick. Anyway, you have an XP product license on the bottom of your netbook. Ask around to see if any of yor friends/associates have a "clean" copy of Windows XP as sold by Microsoft. Most computer shops have them. Install the clean copy of Windows XP via an external USB DVD player and when prompted, use the product key code from the sticker on the bottom of the netbook. If the sticker has been removed or can no longer be read, there are software solutions that can get the product keys from all Microsoft products already installed on you netbook.

Nestone50, Jan 18, 2013
  7. unclelobsterman

unclelobsterman

Thank you. I'm well-versed in doing clean XP installs. I was setting this up for someone who actually wanted the Acer installation (even the screensaver, believe it or not). Anyway, looks like that's my only choice at this point. Thx.

unclelobsterman, Jan 18, 2013
  8. unclelobsterman

Nestone50

Nestone50, Jan 18, 2013
  9. unclelobsterman

unclelobsterman

Thank you. I will definitely check that out.

unclelobsterman, Jan 19, 2013
Ask a Question