Acer AO751h Black Screen - How do I get the bios in?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by BOBSTER69, Jul 13, 2010.

1. BOBSTER69

BOBSTER69

Hi my Daughters AO751h has stopped working and just produces the black screen and makes a slight noise like a fan or a HD trying to start every few seconds... She said the pc made a scrambled kind of noise and there were some coloured fuzzy lines across the screen and then it shut off.

Should I return it to Acer or try this Bios fix?

What do I do with the folders that that are in the download zip eg:

Dos Folder
    Rom File
    Windows Folder

That was the 3 folders in the 3212 folder.

Also does the pen drive have to be formatted in NTFS, FAT 32 or exFAT - That is the options I have in the Format tab.

I don't know why I have bought 3 Acers in the last 3 years but as it stands at the moment all three a broken :-(

Thanks for any help!!

Rob
    ;)

BOBSTER69, Jul 13, 2010
  2. BOBSTER69

StevePritchard

Can you actually get into the BIOS screen at startup? If not, then I'd say it's a repair job. To be honest, the symptoms don't sound like a problem that's easily solved yourself. If it is the hard disk that you can hear, then I'd expect you to get an error message rather than just a black screen. However, if you can get into the BIOS then there could be hope, and perhaps a new HD might fix it.

Cheers,

Steve.

StevePritchard, Jul 13, 2010
  3. BOBSTER69

Swarvey Moderator

Search the forums for "Blind Flashing". The problem has been covered several times before. (that is if you're sre it's a BIOS issue)

Or, you can always ring Acer Tech support. They'll get you to do some basic diagnostics. If the problem fits, they'll direct you to the right files on their website for crisis recovery. Just follow the instructions that come with them. You'll need a USB thumb drive. Otherwise they may get you to send the machine in for warranty repair. Backup your files first.

Swarvey, Jul 14, 2010
  4. BOBSTER69

BOBSTER69

Thanks for the reply guys!! No I can't access any screens - None of the F buttons do anything. Took the hard drive out and fired it up and was still getting the same noise so I guess it's been the fan making the noise....

Bought it in November and hope I can find my receipt!! I take it they won't just check the serial number and know it's under 12 months old??

Thanks!!

Rob

BOBSTER69, Jul 14, 2010
  5. BOBSTER69

Swarvey Moderator

Pretty sure Acer themselves won't ask for a receipt. They should be able to just check your serial number. But don't quote me. Chances are they'll just direct you to the right part of their website to run a BIOS recovery. That's what they did to me last time I rang about a problem. That was before I found this site, but it's always good to make a call to tech support if you're unsure about anything.

Swarvey, Jul 14, 2010
  6. BOBSTER69

altman

I found a solution for AO751h

Hello dears,
    I seen many 751h users encountered bad bios flash problem like me. I successfully updated my bios several times. But last time for updating to bios 3211 my netbook frozen about 1 hour and I reboot my netbook. Result is bricked netbook.
    I searched net for recovering my bios, also I investigate the service manual of the 751h (the worst service manual I have ever seen), but all attempts failed.

But I found a solution and I write this massage my recovered netbook. Please share this massage other ones have 751h. This method probably work for other systems based on Phoenix Bios (systems use WinPhlash utility to updating bios).
    Lets begin to recovery:

1. First of all you need wincrisis system files. I attached working one to this massage also you can download from http://rapidshare.com/files/357391707/crisdisk.rar (premium account). Note that there are several versions of wincrisis files over the net but this is the correct version fully work with 751h.

2. Download your netbook latest bios file from producer web page and unrar it. Find your bios file and renamed it to BIOS.WPH. This is extremely important. Replace the file in archive. Please note that, attached document also include the renamed latest bios file (3211). So if you are a 751h user you don’t need to replace this file.

3. Run WINCRIS.EXE file on Windows XP 32bit OS. This is also very important; this program only runs health on just this OS. I have tried Windows 7 (x86 & x64) versions but doesn’t work for recovery. Note that I also used “run as administrator” and “compatibility” modes, but successfully created USB sticks didn’t work for recovery. I used 512 MB M2 (memory stick micro) card with its own USB reader (1 GB Sandisk USB stick is also OK). I strongly recommend to use <= 2GB sticks due to FAT16 formatting issues. You can also try to use SD or other memory cards, because card reader of 751h installed on USB bus.

4. Select your USB stick as Driver. Select “Removable” option in disk format. Select “Create MINIDOS Crisis Disk” option and press start. Follow instructions. Dont change any other options.

5. Please verify that “BIOS.WPH”, “MINIDOS.SYS”, and “PHLASH16.EXE” files in your USB stick. Manual copying of these files aren’t acceptable.

6. Remove your battery and unplug power cord.

7. Insert your USB stick into your USB port. I used right one.

8. Press Fn & Esc keys at same time and plug your power cord (don’t install your battery). Don’t release “Fn+Esc” key combination. After that, press power button and wait a few seconds to see power button became flashing. After power button became flashing release all buttons.

9. At this time you must see that your USB stick led begin to flashing. This means your bios search for recovery files.

10. If everything is ok your netbook reboot in 5 minutes. If it doesn’t reboot please wait for at least 10 minutes to manual restart.

I hope that this method save your time and divert headache due to service procedures. I seen many threads Acer services don’t repair bios issues, and said that to many users warranty doesn’t include bios problems, and they want to replace your motherboard.

original information: http://www.laptop-forums.com/important-acer-aspire-one-751h-bios-recovery-t18101.html

altman, Jun 17, 2012
Ask a Question