Acer AAO 110 8GB HDD x HP Mini 2133

Discussion in 'HP / Compaq' started by criskeune, Jan 15, 2009.

1. criskeune

criskeune

Hello,

I am a user of this Acer AAO 110 - 8GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, with Linpus Linux installed, but let me say that I am not entirely sactisfied with it. I Know the advantges of using Linux, but since I am not an "expert" in computers, using linux is a real issue for me. I know that I can install Windows XP in this machine, but I think is a way to difficult process for me to do, even more with a 8GB HDD. So I am tempted to enchange my AAO for this HP Mini Note (2133). But I want to know opinions about this HP Mini Note. I mean, mostly about it's processor. What is the real difference between an Intel Atom and a Via C7-M 1,0 Ghz? (both with 1 GB RAM)

criskeune, Jan 15, 2009
  2. criskeune

mattytee

The C7's pretty slow. MUCH slower than an Atom. Also, the 2133 runs VERY hot, like "I can't keep this on my lap" hot.

Vista is DOG slow on the machine, so you're going to be doing the Windows XP install anyway -- if it's the lack of optical drive that scares you, the HP doesn't have an optical drive either.

The 1280x768 resolution is very nice. But some are coming with 1024x600 now, so be careful.

mattytee, Jan 16, 2009
  3. criskeune

stepppy

I got a USB CD ROM off eBay for just over £6 and it worked a treat, I did my XP Pro Install as soon as I took my Limpus Lite version out of the box :D

stepppy, Jan 16, 2009
  4. criskeune

criskeune

I have no objections about the win XP installed instead of Vista. Also, having inside the softwares that I really need (OS, MS Office) all the rest I would use can be installed via download, so I would not need the optical drive. What I am afraid is about Via processor being slow. I only use litle resources (Word, E-mail, and Web browser) in this netbooks, but I need it to be fast, since is really boring to be taking notes at classes and have to stop and wait for the processor to "think about what I should do now" ....
    In any case, I just have sucessfully instaled a Tiny WinXp image via an USB stick (miraculously) and everything is working fine, except the Outolook, which cannot send or receive nothing from the SMTP and POP servers .... But Windows Live Mails works. If this instllation proves to run smooth as it's going now, I would give another chance to my AAO.... :D

criskeune, Jan 17, 2009
Ask a Question