acer a0a 150 - Built in GPS

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by squalle, May 28, 2009.

1. squalle

ashram

i had my sierra wireless card time out/error out trying to access gps UNTIL i connected the antenna/antennas.

ashram, Jul 15, 2009
  2. squalle

DutchDK

Defintely not. HSDPA uses the GSM frequencies (900 and 1800 Mhz bands- 850 and 1900 Mhz bands for the US), while the civilian GPS system uses the L1 carrier which is transmitted at 1575.42 Mhz. Since the transmissionpower from the GPS sats is so low, the antenna for the GPS reception needs to be exactly tuned to the frequency used.

The HSDPA antennas you use, are probably quarterwave antennas for the lower GSM frequency, and thereby a 1/8-wave antenna for the upper GSM frequency. It will not have the ability to pick up the GPS frequency with enough clarity to deliver a usable signal to the SiRF III chipset.

Define "great satellite reception" ;) - For me it means at least 5 sats in view, and EGNOS/WAAS correction in effect. That I have with a BT gps receiver (Qstarz Q1000X) indoor. I don't have that with my SiRF III device. Outdoor I have a valid 3D solution with more sats in the equation and with EGNOS/WAAS correction, in situations where the SiRF device only can manage a 2D solution or a 3D solution without EGNOS/WAAS.

For everyday navigational usage the SiRF III copes well, but if you need better precision, and higher output rate than 1Hz, SiRF III devices just don't cut it anymore.

DutchDK, Jul 15, 2009
  3. squalle

pinuccio

Hi again to everybody, today is saturday and this morning I had a bright idea to replace my OPTION 380 card(inside the AspireOne_150) with Sierra MC_8781_3G ,thinking it could have a better GPS reception....(but I am not sure about )In fact if the problem is due to the blinded case of AOA_150.....
    Are these two cards electrically compatible each other ??
    What do you think about ?
    Have a nice we
    Giuseppe

pinuccio, Jul 18, 2009
  4. squalle

zeecue

Does anyone know if it is possible to add a better GPS antenna for the Option GTM card?

Best Regards
    Morten

zeecue, Jul 18, 2009
  5. squalle

jerryt

@ DutchDK Ashram's response above would indicate that the satellites are being received through the HSDPA antennas.

Great satellite reception for me is 8 satellites with the Sierra card. My usb satellite receiver only picks up 5 satellites. Plus the Sierra card is much quicker at finding the satellites.

jerryt, Jul 18, 2009
  6. squalle

zeecue

I just found some more information about wich antenna is for what and how to set up GPS.
    http://www.option.com/en/support/knowle ... cleen-175/
    Also look at the PDF document at the buttom of the site.

Can someone confirm that there are 2 antennas on the GTM380 in the AAO D150 models?

Best Regards
    Morten

zeecue, Jul 25, 2009
  7. squalle

jerryt

I can verify that the AOA150-1987 models (3G) have two antennas. They are very nice antennas.

I have a couple of the option cards (Original equipment in the AOA150-1987) but never had any luck enabling the GPS, so I changed them out for Sierra Wireless MC8781 cards.

jerryt, Jul 25, 2009
  8. squalle

zeecue

Good to know that the acers have 2 antennas for the WWan, but why does the Option GTM series only recieve a few satlites, when the sierra can se a few more, if they both use the same antennas?

zeecue, Jul 25, 2009
  9. squalle

pinuccio

Excuse me Jerryt, but is Sierra MC8781 electrically compatible with Option GTM380 module ??
    In other words,did you simply put off the Option module and insert the Sierra MC8781 ? (after installing Sierra software)
    Thanks

pinuccio, Jul 27, 2009
  10. squalle

jerryt

Yes. Sierra Wireless card is electrically compatible with the Aspire One's mPCIe slot. Same as the Option card is.

jerryt, Jul 27, 2009
  11. squalle

aop531user

Try:

AT_OIFACE?
    AT_OIFACE="GPS",1
    AT_ORESET

And voilá... :eek:

aop531user, Jul 31, 2009
  12. squalle

rvbcrs

Hi guys,

I also have installed a Option GTM380 card did all the AT commands and the NMEA output starts streaming, but I never get to see any coordinates, I never get a fix no matter if I'm in the house, outside walking around, never get a fix.. I upgraded my card to the latest firmware (2.12.0Hd) but still no luck.. I see the NMEA stuff apearring but nothing more.. I have attached a GPS antenna, but maybe the wrong one.

Can anyone tell me what GPS antenna they use? or what other things you did to get a fix?

Thanks!

RvBCrS

rvbcrs, Aug 1, 2009
  13. squalle

myksterx

Hey guys i have a AOA150-Ab!

Does anyone know how i can get GPS on this?

I don't think it actually has it built in (due to the wireless switch only goes to the right, not left for 3G)

I want to add the Sierra Wireless or the other one to it... (if it needs it)

Where will i find one, and how hard is it.

myksterx, Aug 7, 2009
  14. squalle

pinuccio

Hi Jerryt,

finally I have bought a Sierra MC8781to replace my Option380.
    I tested it for HSDPA and works fine.
    The firmware is maybe little bit old (F1_0_0_4CAP ) and "3G-watcher" is Ver.R2.4.0.1 build 1618).
    May you gently tell me how to enable the GPS ?
    thanks ,from Pinuccio

pinuccio, Aug 17, 2009
  15. squalle

jerryt

1) Well, you need to unlock the unit first if you desire to have it unlocked. You can use DC unlocker to unlock the card, there is a cost.

2) Next download the latest firmware (AC881U_F1_2_3_15ap.exe ) http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/s ... d=4,45,1,1
    for the card and update the firmware. (Note - Card will not be able to be unlocked after firmware upgrade). I recommend you also download the "International Scan Tool ", because it is very useful.

3) Finally run the 3G watcher program and select GPS from the menu. You don't need a sim card for the GPS to work. After the card picks up the satellites, start your GPS program.

jerryt, Aug 17, 2009
  16. squalle

pinuccio

Thanks for your fast reply Jerryt,
    I had already tried to update the firmware (AC881U_F1_2_3_15ap.exe ),but the installation program stops saying :" Device not found" (?)....
    I really don't know why....
    For 3G function it works fine ,as I said before.
    Any idea ?
    Thanks again Jerryt from Giuseppe

pinuccio, Aug 17, 2009
  17. squalle

jerryt

Sound like the 3G switch. Have you turned the card on and off with the wifi switch?

I have seen the device in the device manager but gotten the "No device" error, and the wifi switch fixes it fine.

jerryt, Aug 17, 2009
  18. squalle

pinuccio

Hi Jerryt,

I tried what you suggested to me,but nothing to do.
    The MC8781 is unlocked and it joins the "H3G network" here in Italy correctly.(with old firmware)

But everytime I try to update the firmware the device is not found and it is not due to the WIFI switch status.

I really have no idea.....
    For the moment I did not install the "3G WAtcher program"

Thanks again and hope to hear again from you ,maybe tomorrow.it's time for me to go to bed.....

pinuccio, Aug 17, 2009
  19. squalle

jerryt

I have not had this problem. Verify the part number on the card. Maybe you need the firmware from the same provider you have currently programed on the MC8781? The software I listed was for ATT as a provider...
    Something like this Telstra 880u
    http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/s ... =16,10,1,1

jerryt, Aug 18, 2009
  20. squalle

Rexeh

Hi guys,
    I have the 150-BGW with the build in 3G card, and have done the hyperterminal bits to install the GPS, and to get it to start tracking - great step by steps, thank you.

Possibly a stupid question - is there any free software that turns all the tracking data into a satnav? I already have a tomtom, so I cant see the point in paying for anything, but is there anything free? My phone GPS works with google maps - is it possible to set that up through this?

has anyone written the program to automatically start the GPS yet?

thanks a lot,

Rexeh, Sep 26, 2009
Ask a Question