Accessing Network Drives

Discussion in 'Linux' started by masonnj, Jan 8, 2009.

1. masonnj

masonnj

Bought myself an AA1 today, got the desktop sorted out and ran all the critical updates.

I keep my iTunes library on a NAS drive connected to my network. All the other machines run either XP or Vista.

I followed the various posts on accessing this, create a Directory, open terminal then sudo mount -t cifs /ip /drive name directory name I entered the NAS password when prompted and it connected as expected.

My problem is that once I shut down it forgets and doesn't re-connect next time I boot.

I then loaded D3lphin which installed without errors, however, when I click on the Network icon I get an error. Malformed URL remote:/

I get a similar error if I click on Trash - Malformed URL trash:/ the other options are fine.

Can someone help me resolve these issues please?

Nick

masonnj, Jan 8, 2009
  2. masonnj

GlenMH

Hi

There are a couple of ways of getting your NAS drives to mount after you have booted up:

The first is to have a script automatically run and there are a few posts on here that talk about how to delay running a script until the network manager has loaded.

The other way to do it (and the one I have used) is to put the sudo mount commands on to the right click menu on the desktop. So I now have 2 buttons on that menu that say "mount fileshare 1" and "mount fileshare 2" and have used the menu editor under settings to put the commands in and save them.

Hope this helps,

Glen

GlenMH, Jan 12, 2009
  3. masonnj

masonnj

Glen,
    thanks for the response and it does help. I was thinking that I'd have to write some script that I could excute from the desktop but I like your second option.

I suppose getting an auto script to delay would mean either introducing a delay timer loop of some sort or getting it to test that the networkmanager is running before dong the mount.

Regards
    Nick

masonnj, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question