AAO532h and desktop simple cable LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mojacer, Oct 16, 2010.

1. mojacer

mojacer

Hello,

I am trying to make simple LAN connecting AAO532h (Windows 7 starter) to desktop PC (Windows XP) using just cable. Internet access is not needed. I just need to share data between two computers and to get access to printers from AAO532h. After doing what I knew, situation is next:

1. AAO532h can see, connect and have access to desktop's C disk, DVD RW disk, DVD R disk and printers.
    2. Desktop can not see AAO532h and don't have access to C disk of AAO532h or anything else.
    3. WiFi on AAO432h is working properly.

Both computers have same workgroup. Both computers are set to get IP address, getaway, DSN address and else automatically.

On desktop (XP) computer there is message that computer is connected to LAN, but with limited connection and limited access.

AAO532h give message it can not find and join to homegroup or anything else. Troubleshooting (Windows 7 starter integrated problem resolving) give two results:
    1. AAO532h can not find and join to homegroup.
    2. AAO532h have wrong IP adrress.

Desktop computer is not connected to internet, and AAO532h will not be used to connect desktop to internet by it, I just need to share data between computers.

So, please, what to do to make AAO532h to share its C disk with desktop XP computer.

And one question: Can I make Recovery disk for AAO532 using desktop PC via this simple LAN I am trying to make, or I must connect USB DVD directly to AAO532?

Thanks.

mojacer, Oct 16, 2010
  2. mojacer

melhiore

Start from setting up static IP address like:

192.168.0.2 mask: 255.255.255.0

You do not need gateway to share information in directly connected machines.

System is showing connected but limited for simple reason: automatic means DHCP which does not exist in your LAN. You getting probably some APIPA address starting from 169.254.x.x - you can check this issuing command ipconfig /all in your Command Line or so called Console...

Activate Simple Sharing on both machines - it should work... Sometimes you have to deactivate Firewall on XP in order to have it working...

melhiore, Oct 16, 2010
  3. mojacer

mojacer

Thank you, melhiore.

I tried, and it is the same as before. Acer can see desktop, desktop can not see the Acer. And when I tried to copy GIMP installation from desktop to Acer , or tried to install GIMP to Acer from desktop, it didn't let me, while other files and folders I could copy from one to another computer. And I turned off all firewalls, antiviruses, etc options on both Acer and desktop.

Well, never mind, I will continue file/folder sharing as before, from one computer to USB stick to another computer.

There is few solutions, but buying upgrade WIndow 7 HP or higher is not one of them. To pay price of several additional options while I need just one (I really don't mind lack of desktop look changing, media streaming, XP simulating, etc options in Win 7 starter, but this networking would be handy), but can live without that option I would like. I am seriously thinking to put Ubuntu on netbook...

mojacer, Oct 17, 2010
Ask a Question