AAO150X - MMO's That run Smoothly.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by HyeVltg3, Oct 17, 2008.

1. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3

Just need to know....I finally got a Laptop because I wanted a cheap portable PC to play mmo's on....but I can't just go on and download every MMO just see if it works...my internet bill would skyrocket....so just asking if anyone has these MMO's running at PLAYABLE fps's (15+)....

- Sword of the New World/Granado Espada
    - Lineage 2
    - Exteel
    - Gunz Online
    - Blackshot (CBT Oct.17th-23rd)

... and others....I ask others to request too....just so that we lower the game request clutter ;)...but this thread is about MMO's :p

So far I've gotten Atlantica Online to work....needs further testing...because I could not figure how to get to the main "gate" to actually start fighting....so as soon as I figure that out I'll update the benchmark results ;)

Note: just to keep things clean...bold the game name...and post a few settings and what makes the game lag..if any.

***UPDATE***

Sword of the New World:

WORKS!!!!
    but you'll have to output to a monitor to see all the buttons on the UI because SotNW cannot seem to detect the resolutions available from the 945M.. but its playable......
    High Settings = <20fps
    Med. Settings = 15-25fps
    PLAYABLE!

HyeVltg3, Oct 17, 2008
  2. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3

***UPDATE***

Blackshot:
    Works.
    Was laggy though...could be my connection, but it felt like 10-20fps.....thats kinda of a problem because this is a shooter-title.
    Since it was on in the beta phase there is no config option, so I have no idea what config was being used, just that it was laggy..slow frames.
    but Playable, got two kills before I gave up :p..in under 5mins ;) I'm good at fps's hehe.

HyeVltg3, Oct 19, 2008
  3. HyeVltg3

Foxtropics

Hey, I am really curious about Lineage 2 as well. I don't have my AAO yet but I will definitely want to be able to run Lineage 2 on my laptop, so if the AAO can't I am probably looking in the wrong direction. I don't game much, but the Lineage 2 is the main game I do play, and do want to function. If anyone could test this that would be great!

Foxtropics, Oct 20, 2008
  4. HyeVltg3

nmesisca

:)
    I played L2 for a good while, nice to see some former clan mates (or enemies) here too :)
    I read somewhere that L2 would not play on the AA1 though.. its in one of the game-related threads on this forums..
    Let me know if you get it working, had loads of fun with it and im actually missing the whole game A LOT!

good luck,
    N

nmesisca, Oct 20, 2008
  5. HyeVltg3

vw195

I have played LOTRO on a friend's AAO. It ran at about ~15fps on the lowest settings. For simple action it will work ok, although I wouldnt want to go into the moors or do much more than simple quests, AH and crafting.

vw195, Oct 20, 2008
  6. HyeVltg3

NachyoChez

Guildwars
    FFXI

Installed and both run extremely smooth. If you play FFXI, however, you need to be a little creative. If you don't have an external CD or DVD, you'll have to copy the installer from another PC onto a media card, and load it from there. You can't use the base setup program, since it searches your disc drive for installer files, you'll have to manually install each expansion.
    INST1=Core game
    INST2=Rise of Zilart
    INST3=Chains of Promethia
    INST4=Treasures of Aht Urghan
    INST5=Wings of the Goddess
    PlayOnline=Playonline Viewer
    There's another folder in the pack, it's for DirectX 8.1. If you already have 9 leave it be

Control issues: the "+" key will NOT access the menu. Period. You'll need an external 3 button mouse for at least the first use of the game. Pressing this will activate the main menu. By going into Config, then Misc. 2 you can convert the keyboard setting to "Compact". This will allow you to use normal "WASD" movement and so forth. Personally I'd keep the mouse attacked while playing as a quick menu key, otherwise you'll have to go the long way into the menu.

For Guild Wars all you need to do is download the client from Guildwars.com, patch and go. Runs perfectly, even on the bigger fights.

(Note: Both games will run perfectly fine on a normal system with 512RAM, but I'm using the 1gig system. Also, FFXI is a MASSIVE game, eating 11+ gigs of HD, so be weary if you're on a lighter model)

Edit:
    On the FFXI the "-" key will activate the menu in compact mode, so after primary setup you no longer need an external mouse!

NachyoChez, Oct 20, 2008
  7. HyeVltg3

Foxtropics

Actually, I read that post on here a while ago. But that is the only post I have seen ANYWHERE on the internet relating to running Lineage 2 on the AAO. So it's really hard to say if thats accurate or not. Lineage 2 has so many graphical and game settings that it should run on pretty much any system at all. Just need to tweak around in the options and drop things to lowest detail or turn of the texture filter and turn down the model detail and what not. I would gladly test this myself IF I had an AAO to test it on... However, like I said before, I don't want to purchase an AAO if it can't run Lineage 2, because that is one of the things I pretty much require from a notebook. I don't care if I have to run L2 on the minimum possible settings, as long as its playable.

Foxtropics, Oct 20, 2008
  8. HyeVltg3

NachyoChez

If there was a LEGITIMATE way for me to put L2 on my machine without a financial investment I'd be happy to give it a test run for ya!

NachyoChez, Oct 20, 2008
  9. HyeVltg3

Foxtropics

NCSoft, the people who run L2 should have a "trial account" offer on their site somewhere. Either on the main lineage2.com site, or on plaync.com. Should be able to set up a 10 day trial account and check with that. Also, keep in mind, smooth for Lineage 2 is around 15 fps, its a pretty resource intensive game for the most part. Even my current desktop only gets about 15-20 fps most of the time with graphics maxed. So if I can get 15-20 fps with lowest on the AAO, thats fine with me I can deal with lower graphics as long as the game works.

Also, a bit off topic, but I noticed in your signature you have StarCraft installed. I have read a few times on here that StarCraft has some sort of color glitch because of the 18-bit screen on the AAO, something about pixels being weird colors or something? Know anything about this at all?

Foxtropics, Oct 21, 2008
  10. HyeVltg3

jair2k4

Guild Wars
    City of heroes/villains
    Shaiya
    DOTA
    Diablo 2

All run smooth as silk on my AA1. i get 25+ FPS on guildwars with 3/4 max settings
    City of heroes needs to have minimum settings for best result, shaiya is pretty much good at any setting, as is dota and D2
    running vista vlited at 1.5 gb ram

jair2k4, Oct 21, 2008
  11. HyeVltg3

NachyoChez

I'm not as far through the game as I'd have liked, but nothing's been off about the game so far, every color is coming through in it's old school glory. Do you know if they where using a hacked version, or the retail one available at the store?

NachyoChez, Oct 21, 2008
  12. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3

*Sniffles* nice to see the thread flourish to two pages...lol spent two days with no post...

Anyways would love to someone test L2...just to see if its an option when my SotNW has server maintenance. :p...but then again..its unhealthy to get involved in too many MMO's...lol ..if you know what I mean.

but just as an guess-timate, L2 would definetly run!..if this guy can do SofNW then L2 shouldn't be a hiccup....but then again..they do run on two different engines.....hopefully NCsoft's engine is optimized enough to run smoothly on the AA0.

*******Adding MMO to Request******

- Age of Conan...

EDIT: Will try to get L2...if it has the trail account thing.....but will only be able to do it this weekend...hopefully. gonna be at a friends and stealing the internet is fun ;)

EDIT: Apparently its a b*tch to get a trial code for L2....ARGH!!!!! oh well guys was able to get one for TABULA RASA! in my search for a L2 one lol....so expect a bench on that one later in the week, ;)

HyeVltg3, Oct 22, 2008
  13. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3

*** Tabula Rasa***

Oh Well.....Not Working.

Tried screen and external monitor, but no luck, the game starts up all smoothly but all the textures....seem not to load, so the whole game is BLACK!...there is some lighting but...everything is black, even you character, making a character is impossible to customize, as you cannot see any changes..you just see a black figure...and..black.<---not racist, I swear.

Verdict: Un-Playable, don't bother wasting time on the 3gb download and..I think 2-3gb update..either that or my connection was slow.(at friends ;])

HyeVltg3, Oct 26, 2008
  14. HyeVltg3

adolobe

2Moons

This game also plays smooth with settings set to low or low/med mix on my AAO 150. The only slowdown really is when you inter a city were everyone is setting up shop. I dunno about frame rate but it doesnt appear to be laggy. Great Free MMORPG

Before you can play you need to edit a small file so the game launches in the correct resolution

Go to the Acclaim folder in Program files. Then open up the folder 2moons then open the folder bin. You will see a text file names options.

Open this file and then look for this line

display 1024 768 16

Just change the 768 to 600 and save the file.

No when you launch the game it will be in the correct resolution and it wont crash.

adolobe, Oct 26, 2008
  15. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3

Thank you adolobe fore your input, I'm sure many people who play 2Moons on their PC's can take it portable thanks to you ;)

HyeVltg3, Oct 26, 2008
  16. HyeVltg3

zibbie

I can confirm gate to heaven mmo (download www.gtheu.com) works fine.
    Ive tried 9 dragons, but i have a problem starting the xkernel? Not sure this is due to the video card of the a150,
    seems alot of other ppl are having this problem too.

zibbie, Oct 27, 2008
  17. HyeVltg3

ithildin

How are you getting 25+ FPS on Guild Wars with 3/4 settings? In which campaign/place? I'm running GW on my AAO 150 1GB RAM with XP SP3, Intel 6.14.10.4926 drivers and it is just painful to watch. I'm getting ~10-15 fps, dropping to 8 fps with open spaces/busy areas even with minimum quality. I'm playing through Eye of the North right now and it feels everything except smooth - can't really take on larger mobs or play decently in a team with all the lag I'm getting. I'm also getting also sorts of graphical glitches, especially with smoke effects, which makes me thing the drivers are not up to the task...

Any suggestions/tweaks? If it your setup is that much better, I will definitely switch to Vista (of all things!) on my AAO if it means a decent ultraportable GW machine :)

ithildin, Oct 28, 2008
  18. HyeVltg3

chamel

Silkroad Online

Playable at minimum details, but lag in crowded city.

chamel, Oct 29, 2008
  19. HyeVltg3

jair2k4

Silkroad also works for me.

As for guild wars, I'm assuming it is because i am using a good 4gb sd card for readyboost, which gives more physical memory allocation to the video. It does seem to drop all the way down into the 8's at times. Ascalon city, shinjea, kaineng city, and some of the other big towns do make me cringe at times.... but i grit my teeth and bear with it. my main computer only gives me 25-45 fps anyway, so i am used to it.

I am actually doing a game by game evaluation of all sorts of games on the AA1, ive got a review for spore up already, it has videos, I'll put up my Guild Wars video tomorrow. These can all be viewed at my blog:

http://jair2k4.blogspot.com

jair2k4, Oct 30, 2008
  20. HyeVltg3

Kei

Keep that up please we need more videos when i get my platform not an aao but same HW different chassis i will definetely be uping around 35 videos atleast probably

also i just watched 15 seconds of your spore video go to radioshack and for under 15$ you can get a kickass bendy tripod..just a tipgood quality on the video and it would improve greatly with less shaking

BTW what are you recording with i am siding between using my flip video cam or a Sony Cybershot lime with 11.1mp...care zies lens yadda yadda i should go to bed now :oops:

Kei, Oct 30, 2008
Ask a Question