AAO Replacing - Need help with models

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by toyota, Feb 6, 2009.

1. toyota

toyota

I've moved this here, because I wasn't sure if general discussion was the right place as it might have had too many technical points in.

Hi guys, sorry to have to start on a negative note, but I'm going to have to return my little AAO :(
    I eventually decided on getting a blue 8GB SSD Linpus edition, and it met my needs and ran brilliantly until last week. However, the keyboard started to feel a little loose, and now is on the verge of coming out, and make horrible noises when pressed in certain areas. All of the clips are in correctly, so rather than mess about, as it's still in warranty I'm just going to return it for a replacement. However, this is where my problems start.

If I return it, I can only get a refund, as they have stopped selling my model in favour of the new 16GB version. However, I'd still have to pay a little more to get it. I've noticed that the original hard drive version is now the price I paid for my 8GB. I could use the extra space, as it would allow me to keep the Rocket fast Linpus, and dual boot XP so I can use Delphi for my schoolwork, which would be much more usable than booting from USB stick as I do now! :D

However, this is where my questions start. I have quite a few, so sorry for it being so long.
    1) If I do opt for the hard drive version, will I notice any difference in the brilliant boot up time of Linpus?
    2) I have the AAO in a Targus case in my schoolbag everyday, and it seems well protected, but does get the odd bump, but only when it's powered down. Will this hurt the hard drive, or will it resist enough? (That was my main reason for buying the SSD version first time around.)
    3) I really got into Linpus and have learnt a lot about Linux, so have changed and installed/updated a lot of things. I read about the AAO backup program on macles' blog, which I thought would be the easiest solution, as I thought I would get back an 8GB model as replacement. If I get an 8gb memory stick and back up my current SSD, will it go smoothly if I try and restore it back to either the hard drive or 16GB version, or will it mess up the partition table? If it won't work, is there any way I can backup Linpus and restore it to my new larger drive?
    4) Does the hard drive use any more battery life than the SSD?

Sorry about the long post, I'm just lost as which to buy, as so far I've only had good experiences with the AAO, I love the little thing, and it stands up really well at college. When people saw me running XP from USB with Grand Theft Auto on, they were like "Wow, is that a laptop?!" :lol: So if possible, I really want to stick with an AAO.

Thanks in advance for your help.

toyota, Feb 6, 2009
  2. toyota

toyota

Hey, sorry to be a bother, but this is probably going back sometime over the next couple of days, so does anyone have any answers?

Thanks again

toyota, Feb 7, 2009
  3. toyota

Ranger Wolf

wow i'm surprised no one has given you an answer yet. heres some for you

1. I've only got the windows version of the Aspire One, but the hard drive ddoes have faster rea/write speed then a SSD, so there will be in improvement in speed for everything you do

2. As long as your not dropping your backpack, the harddrive will be fine. I'd suggest getting a cushioned carrying case for your netbook, if it will get a few bumps. More of less to protect the screen, as that can crack easily

3. Again, i don't use linux, so i can't help on that question.

4. My 120 gig hard drive seems to work pretty well. i can get about 2h 15 mins if i'm not running more then firefox or word processing. If your using this for skool, i'd suggest looking into the 6 cell battery version, as you get 5h's of battery life

Hope that helped a bit ^^

Ranger Wolf, Feb 7, 2009
  4. toyota

toyota

Thanks a lot for your reply :)

Hmm, the case I use is for bigger laptops, but is rigid, and I've padded the inside out with bubble wrap, so if that's safe enough, I'll probably get the hard drive. And the 6 cell battery is on my list of things to get when I've saved up enough money :lol:

Anyone know about cloning the SSD to the hard drive?

toyota, Feb 8, 2009
  5. toyota

toyota

Alright I've arranged for it to go back tomorrow, and as I am still unsure which model I'll get back, the fixed 8gb, 16gb or 120gb, I need a way to backup the current 8gb SSD with Linpus on, so that I will be able to restore it to any of the above disks without problem. I've bought a 8gb SanDisk cruzer to back up to, I'm just not sure which software will be best to use to back it up and restore it, any one done this before?

Thanks again

toyota, Feb 13, 2009
  6. toyota

ronime

1. HD version will be even quicker.
    2. As long as you power down before moving the AAO you should be OK.
    3. You should be able to restore the existing SSD partition backup onto a HD and then resize the partitions later using a Parted Magic live USB.
    4. I get about 15 minutes more runtime on a 3-cell with my A110 (SSD) than I do with my A150 (HD). 4400mAH 6-cell on the A150 gives almost 5 hours.

I would recommend the HD models. I need to change my sig now that my A110 has been ebay'ed! A150-AW delivery is imminent!

ronime, Feb 13, 2009
  7. toyota

toyota

Thanks very much, that's exactly what I needed to know :) Looks like I might be upgrading then! :D

toyota, Feb 13, 2009
Ask a Question