AAO not seeing our regular WLAN?!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Technophobe, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Technophobe

Technophobe

I live up to my username so please forgive me if I don't give you all the information you require!!

We have no wireless router, but the desktop PC is hardwired to the BB router and then the laptop connects to the WLAN thru the PC if that makes sense. We also have a wireless printer.

Our laptop has no problems connecting, but the AAO refuses to. It WILL connect to the Linksys router in the shop next door, but that appears to ave crashed overnight :lol: so our daughter is now going demented not able to use her AAO online!

The AAO doesn't even SEE our regular WLAN.

We were going out today to bu a wireless router, specifically the Linksys £40 one in Tesco, but I have read on other sites this isn't Linux compatible.

Not really sure what we are doing, sadly, this could be a bit of a disastrous present!!!

Many thanks for ANY advice!

Technophobe, Dec 26, 2008
  2. Technophobe

daldred

My home network uses a Linksys router (a WRT54G) and I have Windows, Mac and Linux systems all connecting happily: since the wireless protocols are not specific to operating systems, there shouldn't be any problems.

Linksys did produce one or two models of router which could not themselves run Linux, but that doesn't affect their ability to connect wirelessly to any system. Most Linksys routers are in fact Linux based.

daldred, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question