AAO KAV60 LCD Display issue

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by VRIJESH, Apr 27, 2011.

1. VRIJESH

VRIJESH

Hello,

My Acer ASpire One has developed a new problem where the display will be on the screen only when the screen angle is over about 125 degrees. It seems like only the display output is affected as the webcam and mic etc still work at any screen angle. What I would like your help with is to know what the issue could be - i am looking at buying a replacement LCD screen which costs about $60 on ebay but want to be sure it is the screen and needs replacement. Just trying to make sure I don't buy the screen and end up with a cable issue :mrgreen: .

I searched on here but could not find any related posts. Has anyone come across this issue? I've been Google'ing for a few hours now but cannot find any related posts there either. Could you please suggest some things I can try/look at to make sure the LCD needs to be replaced and its not anything else?

Thanks a bunch.
    VJ

VRIJESH, Apr 27, 2011
  2. VRIJESH

Swarvey Moderator

I had the same problem with my D250. Turns out there was a loose earth connection in the LCD cable. (The factory merely bound the wires togethr, when they should have been bound, soldered and insulated. I fixed the earth lead up but that was only part of the story, there also seems to be a loose connection / break in one or more of the wires in the cable. Instead of spending money on a new cable, I have temporarily fixed the issue by rotating the end of the cable one full rotation, which has put just enough tension on the broken wires to make a connection. My LCD now works on all angles. This may or may not work for you, but it's worth a try if you are good with a soldering iron and small wires.

Swarvey, Apr 28, 2011
  3. VRIJESH

VRIJESH

Thank you Swarvey. I believe what you had was my issue as well. I was in the process of finding it when you were posting your reply last evening :) . If I pressed the LCD cable back towards the screen casing, the display would come on, but if I let it be the display would go away. Also, the cable needed to be tighter near the hinge. So rerouted it pressing it behind the screen and just a tad tighter around the hinge so its tight enough to show the display but loose enough to be bent while closing. It seems to have fixed the issue. And you are right, they simply plugged the wires in and put some sort of glue to hold it, and the wires were starting to come out of the connector on the MB side. I used some electrical tape to keep it in place.

Thanks once again. Now on to installing a touch-screen!! Can't wait to see how that turns out!!

VRIJESH, Apr 29, 2011
Ask a Question