AAO From Radio Shack (Is this normal?)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bit_bucket, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bit_bucket

bit_bucket

I have searched around quite a bit. I just picked up one of these AAO's from Radio Shack with the HSPA Connection. Windows Update applied an update that foobar'd things up so I restored my system using the e-restore software on the machine. Everything came back fine, except now I see not only an HSPA Connection in my networking, but now I have a Local Area Connection 3 in addition to the Wireless Network Connection and Local Area Connection. The Local Area Connection 3 says it's hardware device is "Quallcomm Wireless HS-USB Ethernet Network Adapter 9212" The normal HSPA connection lists "Qualcomm HS-USB Modem 9212" as it's hardware. I swear this mysterious Local Area Connection 3 was not here before, and appears to serve no purpose as it does not go active when I connect to the cellular network, only the HSPA connection does. Can someone else with one of these confirm if they have this mysterious non-used network adapter in the Network Connections?

If this is there, does anyone know what it is to be used for. Acer tech support just told me it was for my wifi or something, which it is clearly not. I have a Network Connection for Wifi and Ethernet.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Bill

bit_bucket, Jan 6, 2009
  2. bit_bucket

bit_bucket

To answer my own question, fresh out of the box this happens. This network adapter is created for whatever reason. Not sure what it is for. Anyone know what it is for?

bit_bucket, Jan 6, 2009
  3. bit_bucket

fungflex

Not sure, I did not experience the same issue. On my XP system it only shows as Local Area Connection 3, no HSPA Connection. However on my Windows 7 partition it only shows as HSPA Connection. As long as it works its not to big of a problem.

Also not to hijack this thread with a slightly different topic but because I could not find the answer anywhere else....

To get the Acer 3g Connection Manager working within Windows 7 / Vista first download the drivers from Acer's Euro website. Install the qualcomm drivers should be 3-4 drivers total. Then install the Acer 3g Connection Manager. It seems to get it to work each time you want to run it you have to right click the application, click properties and confirm that it is running in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2. Despite these settings remaining after each launch it seems I have to open this window and confirm settings each time otherwise it spits out an error.

fungflex, Jan 6, 2009
  4. bit_bucket

bit_bucket

Something you probably already know but if not should check out. The driver disk for 3G that came with the Netbook, when it is autorun says it is for Windows Vista.

bit_bucket, Jan 6, 2009
  5. bit_bucket

fungflex

Well that is good to know, I never did test it with Vista as I never installed Vista. The program may be compatible with Vista but it only works in 7 in compatibility mode. It does work really really well however once ya get it working. I did attempt to do the install from the 3g CD for Win 7 and it didn't do the trick.

fungflex, Jan 7, 2009
  6. bit_bucket

jmuffat

actually, I installed everything using vista compatibility mode with administrator login, and then I run the 3G manager with these settings too, and it works like a charm in windows 7. I used the CD that came with the laptop. Apart from the admin confirmation, I don't have to re-confirm anything. so far, very happy with w7 on this machine.

cheers

j.

jmuffat, Jan 23, 2009
Ask a Question