AAO-D150-1165 webcam vendor?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Warhammer4k, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Warhammer4k

Warhammer4k

I have an Acer Aspire One D150-1165 on which I recently installed Windows 7. I downloaded and installed drivers for everything from the Acer support site, except for the webcam. How do I know which one I have, among the 3 vendors (Chicony, Liteon, Suyin)?

The webcam shows in Device Manager as simply "USB 2.0 webcam," using the Microsoft generic driver. If there's a vendor ID string buried somewhere, I haven't found it. Acer's support page is no help. They simply call it a "CrystalEye" webcam, with no information on the vendor.

It's possible that all D150-1165 models use the same webcam, but there doesn't seem to be any information on the Web about it. From owning a few slightly different models, including a D150-1920 and a D250, I know that the last 4 digits denote slight differences, either in case color, retail channel, hardware, or all 3. It might be useful if this forum had a tacked thread listing hardware in specific Aspire One variants, so that people could look up what drivers they need to install.

Warhammer4k, Oct 27, 2010
  2. Warhammer4k

hemmi

bump

would like to know if everyone's webcam uses a generic microsoft driver like myself and op?

hemmi, Aug 9, 2011
  3. Warhammer4k

Warhammer4k

I think I found the answer. While running Ubuntu 10.04, I listed all the USB devices (lsusb) and found that my AAO D150-1165 has a "Microdia Sonix USB 2.0 Camera." That is not one of the choices at the Acer driver download page.

It could be that the Sonix camera is close enough to one of the other vendors' camera that the same drivers will work. I also looked on both the Sonix and Microdia websites, but did not find any downloads relating to webcams.

I'm not sure that it is really necessary to replace the generic Microsoft driver, however. My webcam seems to work just fine in both Windows XP and Ubuntu. I can watch a feed from the camera through Windows Explorer, but I haven't installed any recording/playback software (e.g. Skype).

Warhammer4k, Aug 10, 2011
Ask a Question