AAO Constantly on Power

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by lufcmattylad, Aug 25, 2008.

1. lufcmattylad

lufcmattylad

Can I permanently have my AAO constantly connected to the main power via the cable with the battery connected? or will it fry my battery? I don't want to shorten the life of my battery just by using my laptop at home

If I want to run this machine from the mains power, should I remove my battery?

confused

lufcmattylad, Aug 25, 2008
  2. lufcmattylad

Kite

3. lufcmattylad

Stefan

Or in simple words: take it out and put it in your fridge...

Stefan, Aug 25, 2008
  4. lufcmattylad

apaige

Make sure to put it in an air-tight bag before putting it in the fridge though… beware of condensation!

apaige, Aug 25, 2008
  5. lufcmattylad

Raido

It won't fry your batt to keep the machine connected nearly all the time (if it did, Acer would have a LOT of recalls on their hands and the hardware wouldn't make it thru FCC tests!), ...but due to the extra heat, it wouldn't be good for the battery's health, either.

Besides, keeping it on the charger all the time would be a waste of energy (even tho the charger will go into trickle mode after a while, it'd STILL use up power all through the year) - akin to keeping something on standby permanently instead of shutting it off. Not exactly great in environmental terms, either. :geek:

You don't really need to physically remove the batt when the computer is on the charger, btw. Just don't keep it on all night & day when charging's not needed.

Raido, Aug 25, 2008
  6. lufcmattylad

zzmel

Hi:

I did not know where I should post this message so I thought I would post it here. I have the earlier Aspire One with the smaller display. I think it is 8.7" My question is why is it that after the batteries are fully charged and then the computer is turned off and a few hours later turned on again only on batteries, almost 50% shows whats left of the charge? That doesn't seem right. There must be a defect in the battery. I can't even get near an hour using the batteries. Does anyone else experience the same problem? Thanks for an answer.

Mel

zzmel, Jan 12, 2010
  7. lufcmattylad

CZroe

I had to leave mine plugged in all the time because I was having a problem with the power cord or jack (if I moved it, it would stop charging). It ruined the battery in three months. It had less than 50% of the capacity month after month until it was stuck at 0% and refused to charge (red X in XP's power meter; "plugged in" indicator in XP's taskbar). This was even though I was aware of the need to drain the battery once a month and did so.

It may have been the times when I struggled to find a cord position for it to stay charging (like rapidly being plugged in and unplugged), but it may also have been from being plugged in all the time.

CZroe, Feb 17, 2010
Ask a Question