AAO and Realtek

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by alicez, Mar 13, 2009.

1. alicez

alicez

Does anyone have the Acer Aspire One 10.1" 1 GB ram; 160 GB HD
    and uses CCleaner?

Realtek High Definition Audio was already installed on this netbook.
    Now we notice every time we run CCleaner, the following files are always there:

C:\Documents and Settings\Alice\Local Settings\Temp\French.bin
    and 27 other lines for Arabic.bin' Czech.bin' Dutch.bin....etc.

Someone told us:
    These files are created by the Realtek audio drivers each time you open the Realtek sound manager.
    There is nothing much you can do, it's a bug of the Realtek drivers which don't remove the temporary files. And it's been like that for ages, so maybe it's not a bug but a feature.

Does anyone else experience the same thing?

How can we prevent these (28) files from always showing in the C:\Documents and Settings\Alice\Local Settings\Temp\
    folder?

I bought the computer for my 8 year old grandson and it is quite confusing to him when these files always show up when CCleaner is run.
    My grandson and I (a senior citizen) do not know anything about computers and hope you explanation will not be too technical.
    Alice

We notice a line in System Configuration Utility - Start Up named: "AxMixerSel"
    Should this be UNCHECKED, so those 'temp' files no longer appear every time we run CCleaner?
    If that was done, would we still hear sound(s)? We are very confused about Realtek. Please help us.

(Realtek is not a good program everyone has told us and we are beginning to understand why they said that. I don't know why Acer included it on this unit. I don't think it can be uninstalled or disabled without harming the sound on this Acer. Very poor choice by Acer and I am not at all pleased with it.)

alicez, Mar 13, 2009
  2. alicez

Nemix

I believe those files language files associated with the Realtek Sound Manager, for instance when you go to select which language is used default.

Realtek sets the language to AUTO, try changing it to whatever language desired then run another session of CCleaner.

BTW thanks for pointing this out, I've noticed this behavior with Realtek/CCleaner for some time now but hadn't look for answers.

;)

Nemix, Mar 14, 2009
  3. alicez

alicez

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I did change from "auto" to "English (had a hard time locating the place to make the change) but still no change - languages still appear in the 'temp' folder. Every time I turn on AAO they are there and are cleaned out with CCleaner each time I turn Acer off.

I've read several posts on the Internet about other people seeing same thing and trying for 'ages' to correct. They said Realtek was no help at all. It appears it is not only happening on this Acer Aspire One, but also on several other types of computers that have Realtek installed.

It's just a shame that Realtek knows about this and doesn't do anything about it. I'm also upset that Acer installed Realtek and does nothing about the problem other than telling you to contact Realtek (and then Realtek doing nothing about it).

I certainly would never use any Realtek products in the future.

alicez, Mar 14, 2009
  4. alicez

JimmiG

To be honest, it doesn't sound like a huge issue to me. I doubt those files take up so much storage space that it's a problem with a 160GB harddrive or even a smaller SSD. It really isn't up to Acer to "fix" this since the audio hardware and software comes from Realtek. It would be hard to avoid Realtek - many motherboards and complete computer systems ship with Realtek networking and audio hardware. All netbooks currently available probably ship with Realtek audio.

CCleaner good, but it really is overkill, especially if you have a 160GB harddrive rather than the 8 or 16GB SSD. Just make sure to manually empty the recycle bin and limit the amount of harddrive space your browser is allowed to use for cache (or turn cache off altogether if you have a decent internet connection - it's an artifact from the days of 56k modems). Then there's really no need to run CCleaner more than maybe every other month at most. The built-in XP drive cleaner can take care of most temporary files and it features a simpler user interface.

On my AAO I have disabled RTHDCPL.exe using msconfig to save some RAM. This is the Realtek audio control panel, but for me the standard volume control in XP is more than enough. I can't find any of the language files on my system so I think this also stops the creation of those.

JimmiG, Mar 14, 2009
  5. alicez

alicez

Thanks JimmiG for your reply. Without realizing it (probably) you solved my problem.
    I did uncheck the RTHDCPL.exe in the StartUp and indeed the Realtek 'languages' were no longer there when I ran CCleaner.

Thank you. I hope others who had the same question see your remedy. Some folks said they had spent 'ages' trying to get rid of the 'languages' with no luck.

Thanks again,
    Alice

alicez, Mar 15, 2009
Ask a Question