AAO and Nokia N95

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by criskeune, Oct 4, 2008.

1. criskeune

criskeune

Hello,

I am using this AAO, 8 GB SSD, 1GB RAM and Linpus Linux O.S. for about a month and it's working perfectly for what I wanted (to take notes at my University classes and web surfing). The wi-fi works great for this purpose, but unfortunately here where I live there is not so much free access point to connect. Most of these access points works only as a paid service (which is annoyning -- last weekend I went to book shop and they charged me a bit for this grrrr :evil: ).

So I have now the opportuny of aquiring a Nokia N95, and all I want is to put this mobile 3G cell phone to work as an internet connection with my AAO (LINPUS, remmember). I have read in these foruns something about it and I found that I have to install some "Joiku" software and to change to "ad-hoc network mode". But here comes my question: If I change this network mode, will I be able to access "normal" wi-fi connections (which appears in the network icon)? I ask this because at the University and at home, I can access free access point without any restrictions, and so, in these cases, I would prefer the "normal" wi-fi connection...

Thanks,

Cristina

criskeune, Oct 4, 2008
  2. criskeune

melhiore

Joiku spot is changing your mobile into Access Point. All you have to do is just Connect to it - that's all... You're not changing any settings in your AA1... Your mobile is behaving like standard AP and AA1 is using this connection only... Remember to set password unless you want ANYONE to connect to your mobile :)

melhiore, Oct 4, 2008
  3. criskeune

chris3lx

I'd like to know the answer to this question also. 95% I use a standard router at home, but when travelling i'd like to use my N95 8GB running JoikuSpot.
    he post above this is wrong. You have to put the AA1 into Ad-hoc mode manually.

chris3lx, Oct 5, 2008
  4. criskeune

melhiore

Have you ever used Joiku Spot before?? Your mobile is AP - you have to use infrastructure network type, not Ad-hoc which is linking only two devices... I have E90 and I'm using this software quite often purely because my tariff have unlimited web browsing but initiated only from mobile and Joiku is doing this job perfectly...

Follow Joiku Spot website:

melhiore, Oct 5, 2008
  5. criskeune

chris3lx

This thread details why you need your AA1 in Ad hoc mode to run connect to a phone running JoikuSpot:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=125&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=joikuspot

I havent tried the above steps though. IS there a better way of connecting, because I cant get it working "out of the box" yet.

chris3lx, Oct 5, 2008
  6. criskeune

melhiore

Have fun then... I will use my mobile in the way I always did...

Above post is not explaining why you have to use Ad-hoc. It's showing only how to connect to Joiku in Ad-hoc mode which is completely pointless..

melhiore, Oct 5, 2008
  7. criskeune

gheek

Under Linux, AdHoc networks (the Joiku "access point" is technically an AdHoc network) are not discovered by the network card without using the script linked above by chris3lx. The initial poster of this thread stated to be using Linpus, not Windows (where no such setting is required, indeed).

By the way, after a somewhat extensive setup the N95 can also be used as a modem via USB cable, as explained here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2258

gheek, Oct 6, 2008
  8. criskeune

rebuilder

Melhiore: if you're using Joikuspot in infrastructure mode, I think a lot of people, including the Joiku developers would be interested in knowing how you did it... From the Joikuspot FAQ:

rebuilder, Oct 7, 2008
  9. criskeune

melhiore

I just installed this software and I connected my desktop PC via Wi-Fi in days with broadband problems. Joiku appears as standard Access Point in network list. Purely because I have couple of devices I also connected PDA (HTC Kaiser). All was working fine - slow but fine:

Besides follow JoikuSpot website:

And:

And for me it's working like that that's why I don't understand all this stuff with Ad-hoc problems. Besides I don't believe Joiku is promising something impossible...

Anyway. I'm planning to download newest version of Joiku and do some additional test. There must be something wrong if most of you is sure Joiku is not working in infrastructure mode...

melhiore, Oct 7, 2008
  10. criskeune

rebuilder

Melhiore: I think the key words here are "your desktop PC". That likely would work - your desktop setup probably doesn't list ad-hoc and infrastructure access point very differently from each other anyway. The (Linux, don't know about XP) AA1 model, though, will only show infrastructure APs in the GUI networkmanager, and some terminal work must be done to connect to an ad-hoc one, and even then the connection won't support encryption. So it's a dual problem, on the other hand it would be nice to have infrastructure mode in Joiku, and on the other hand the AA1 wifi implementation clearly has a bug or two.

I see a possible source of confusion here, though - you're using the XP One, and I believe the rest of us are talking about the Linux model. Maybe things work fine on XP.

rebuilder, Oct 7, 2008
  11. criskeune

dj_steve

i use WMWifiRouter (which i believe joiku is based on) and it DEFINATLY shows up as a Ad-Hoc Network, hence having to use script to connect, though when it does connect its very very quick when im in good coverage

dj_steve, Oct 8, 2008
Ask a Question