AAO 751h swapped Wi-Fi module-LED gone

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TimeWalker, Jan 3, 2012.

1. TimeWalker

TimeWalker

Hello there fellow Acer Aspire users. New to the forums and new to all the netbook stuff in general, been desktop user for ages.

I picked up a 751h model running a fresh installation of Win7 Starter with a preinstalled AR5BHB63 wi-fi module which is identified as AR5007EG. Now, this adapter only supports wireless-G @54Mbps which by todays means is plain and utter crap. I had an AR5B95 module (identified as AR9285) lieing around for quiet some time with no use so I've decided to swap the old 54Mbps bastard out with a wireless-N one. It is able picks up all the networks around and connecto to my home network, speeds have increased (loading ubuntu distributive from server with 54Mbps card the speeds are ~2.2Mb/s whereas with 150Mbps card they tend to be 9-ish Mb/s) and so is the range where I get good reception. The negotiation link is shown as 135Mbps in my router stats, so the card is working fine I should say.

The part that is bothering me is that the wi-fi LED indicator on the netbook is not blinking at all. It used to blink with the old module. I've seen articles related to Linux, that peple are using kernel pathces of some sort to I guess trick the machine into thinking it is a 5-series wi-fi card (using ath5k if I'm not mistaken). This reenables LED indicator for wi-fi to display network activity... However I wasn't able to find any information regrading this matter for Windows 7.

I have uninstalled the old card's drivers from Programms & Features as well as from Device Manager prior to popping in the new one. If I pop the old card back LED is working fine. SO it there any way to make the LED work again with the new module? Perhaps a bios mod of some sort which I'm not aware of or playing with the card's EEPROM?

Thank you in advance.
    Lovely forums you've got here.

TimeWalker, Jan 3, 2012
Ask a Question