AAO 532h - Remaining battery at 100% load

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Luloh, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Luloh

Luloh

Hi,
    I've just bought a new Acer Aspire One 532 (10''). My questions is, when I've fully charged the battery and just booted the OS (Windows 7 Starter Edition in my case), when I click on the battery status icon on the tray bar, it says that with 98% battery charge remaining, there're about 4h,20min of battery time left. Is this normal? I mean, in this model the battery was supposed to last for about 8h (there's a sticker on the netbook that says '8+ hrs).
    After a few minutes idle time it indicates 6 - 7 hrs but as soon as I start working again the estimated time goes down again.
    Is this supposed to be a normal behaviour or should I demand a new battery?

Thanks a lot,
    Greets

Luloh, Jul 4, 2010
  2. Luloh

bluevolume

The only accurate measurement there is the % of battery remaining (which actually isn't completely accurate either). Windows continuously tries to guess how much time you have left, based on the current load and the percentage remaining. It is WILDLY inaccurate and I would pay no attention to it.

So to answer your question, your machine and battery are fine. Keep in mind that Acer claims "up to 8 hours". If you're just doing simple web browsing or writing documents, etc; with the brightness down low you should get around 8 hours. But if you're watching videos or playing Flash games you might only get 3 or 4 hours.

bluevolume, Jul 4, 2010
  3. Luloh

kj10

I have a 1 month old AO 532. I've never been able to get more than 5 1/2 hours on the battery, no matter what I'm doing (even on power saver mode). I only use word processing software, and occasional web. Time is not per Windows estimate. I have actually logged the time used. Is this normal, or a defective battery?

kj10, Sep 16, 2010
Ask a Question