AAO 532H - Blue Tooth

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ChrisJBrady, Mar 24, 2012.

1. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady, Mar 24, 2012
  2. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

I am greatly disappointed that there has been no response(s) here.

Apparently Bluetooth is not installed in most Acers incl. mine even though the various specs. say that it is.

However the solution could be to use a USB BT dongle.

PoundWorld (UK) sell them at £1. They reportedly work fine.

But avoid the scam on eBay with regards to certain cheap dongles from China. There is one ubiquitous model that has a curved black end for gripping the device with. This comes with Chinese BlueSoleil drivers v.6. These limit you to 2Mb total. They also do not run on Win 7. You have to purchase additional drivers for v.8+ for Win 7. These cost an extra 19 euros for the drivers and license key. Once working on one laptop / notebook it is not possible to use it on another computer. The key is not transferable. This is invariably not mentioned in the listings - which is against eBay's TOS. Google search for BlueSoleil and you will also read that their drivers (and other products) have serious technical problems. There is no customer support for BlueSoleil products.

The other USB BT dongle that causes angst is from SiteCom - this is a very small rectangular device that could virtually be left plugged in - if it worked - but it does not. The drivers come from Toshiba - they can be installed from the included CD, or better downloaded from the SiteCom or Toshiba websites. BUT these invariably will not install - usually stalling at the 10% progress mark. A Google search also indicates that this is an issue with Toshiba drivers. SiteCom told me that the device actually does not need drivers and is plug&play - but this didn't work for me either.

Both the devices I purchased on eBay have been lemons. I guess that I now need to find a PoundWorld store.

BTW I am curious why MS supplies a Bluetooth driver specifically for the Acer Aspire One 523h when said notebook does not actually have the hardware installed.

http://drivers.windows7download.com/win ... axdaf.html

ChrisJBrady, Apr 28, 2012
Ask a Question