AAO 150L, AAO 110L, which one to buy ?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Ness, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Ness

Ness

Hi !
    I'm new to the board (actually, I come from the french AAO board), and I plan to buy an AAO. I'm having serious doubts about which model to choose. Until earlier today, I was totally sure I wanted the 150L (I live in Switzerland, now we have in stores the AAO with 120Go HD, 3 cell battery). After a bit of talk with a seller I know, I'm lost. He told me I risk serious data loss with the AAO 150, because the HD isn't really a good one (told me something about head parking, sorry, I don't know the term in English, I hope you can understand what I mean).
    My use for this netbook would be to have it all the time with me (and I really mean all the time... Ok, maybe not under the shower ^^), and I would use it almost excusively to write (while listening to mp3). He said that even by carrying it around in my bag, I would risk damaging the HD...

On the other hand, 8Go SSD seems a bit small. That's not the main problem : this same seller told me that AAO110 was not really good, that the fan was making noise, that the keyboard had to be almost hammered upon to be able to type something...

So now, I don't know. I really want this machine, but I would like to have some advice by other users.

Users of the HD version : Any problem with data loss, weird clicking, and stuff like that ?
    Users of the SSD version : Any problem with the fan, the keyboard ? I know the SSD is somewhat slow (but it ain't the main problem for me)

Thanks for all advice !!!

I must decide quickly, I have a nice offer for both AAO110 and AAO150, but it ends in a few days. After that, I'll have to wait either for the stores to sale the AAO150 or try to grab a AAO110 on ebay...

Ness, Nov 5, 2008
  2. Ness

Janye

I bought a new AOA 1583 which has a 160 GB HD in it, and I will admit, my fan is running pretty steady. However, that being said, the keyboard is a dream. If the one your looking at is similar to this one, I don't see the keyboard being an issue. Is the SSD one more ? Think of the reasons he may be telling you these things. I have to say, I was a bit sketchy on having such a small net book due to needing it for a lot of typing, and I have been pleasantly surprised.

That being said, its not the same model. Know anywhere you could look @ one in person before you buy ?

Janye, Nov 5, 2008
  3. Ness

Ness

I had in hands the AAO many times, so I know the keyboard is what I want. The only big question remaining, actually, is that of the disk space.
    8Go is a bit small, 120Go is big, maybe a bit more than what I would use, but the price is also another argument.
    Right now, I can get a AAO 110 for something like 380$. I can get the blue 150L for 425$, and the white one for 470$. Really expensive anyway :(

Ness, Nov 5, 2008
  4. Ness

Janye

The blue A0A I have here now I bought for 379 CND with the 160 GB HD, 1 GB ram with XP

I bought a floor model because that's all they had left, however, it was the same price. They are normally 399 CDN here I do believe.

This was the last one they were going to carry locally and the price is right, but I was a bit miffed about the floor model, totally worth it tho IMO. It replaces my 15.4 laptop nicely minus optical drive. However, since I have the other laptop I am fine.

I guess the prices are different where you are, but if you know the 8 GB may be a bit small, its better to have too much then too little. If you had the 120 GB, at least you could have some movies or whatever on it for travel purposes. :?

Hard thing to figure out, if it is just for writing, the 8 GB model may do you, but you may end up wanting something larger later on. If you could afford the one with the larger HD I say get that one.

Janye, Nov 5, 2008
  5. Ness

donec

Problems with the hard drive parking is something that many years was a problem but as far as I know the new drives are not the type that need a park command and so this should not be a problem. That said there have been reports of Ubuntu and hard drive problems. Keep in mind that the AAO was not originally designed for a hard drive.
    Moving any hard drive while it is running is not a good idea as when the platter is spinning there is a strong chance that the head could bounce against the platter and damage one or the other.

There have been some complaints about the fan but to me it seems to be more of a problem for the XP versions and other hard drive versions. I have had my AAO 110 for over 3 months and have never had a fan problem. I switched to Mandriva 2009 Gnome and use the left SD card reader containing a 16Gb SDHC card as my home partition this gives my more room I also keep a 120 Gb external hard drive for storage. I hope this helps.

donec, Nov 5, 2008
  6. Ness

Ness

Thanks for all advice, guys :) I think I'm going for the AAO110, finally. I just have to think about it a bit more, to check the price, to do some price comparisons, but I'm almost decided. I have another laptop, with a 120Go HD, which I intend to take for longer trips. The small one would be kept in my bag all the time, and used mainly to write and listen to music.

Ness, Nov 6, 2008
Ask a Question