AAO 120GB HDD possible to upgrade to SSD?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by wpichang, Sep 9, 2008.

1. wpichang

wpichang

wpichang, Sep 9, 2008
  2. wpichang

macles

macles, Sep 9, 2008
  3. wpichang

wpichang

Would the performance be significant? The drive has a read of ~130MB/s and write of ~95MB/s. I'm hoping I could slipstream a 1.5gb Vista on it and have a load time from power on within 20ish seconds. Possible?

wpichang, Sep 9, 2008
  4. wpichang

macles

There is a review of another SSD in the link, and also a link to v2 of that drive.

macles, Sep 9, 2008
  5. wpichang

wpichang

Just wondering, has anyone done an upgrade from 120gb to the SSD yet? Would be very interested to see some live results

wpichang, Sep 9, 2008
  6. wpichang

CWhitney

I am powering down as soon as I type this to install it. I will let you know how it goes tonight if all is well (and if not it might be tomorrow before I can get it all going).

CWhitney, Sep 10, 2008
  7. wpichang

wpichang

Great, I'd love to see the results...

I've already placed my order and waiting for them to arrive. So I'll have some test results up for guys here too. I think it'll be much much faster then the 8gb CF mod. I thought of doing the CF mod but I have to definitely agree with andy (the guy that first did the mod on this forum) it's not worth the money to buy a brand new one and do the mod, only worthwhile if you already own one. I'm paying about $30.00 CAD and I'm getting a 64gb SSD that reads and write much faster. Going to slipstream Vista on it too probably.

Hope your upgrade works out fine and please let us know if you ran into any problems.

wpichang, Sep 10, 2008
  8. wpichang

CWhitney

Ok.... Everything is back up and running without issue. I just have a few drivers that need to be installed before its 100%. I have to say that I am unimpressed. VERY VERY unimpressed. I was running Vista on the 120gig HDD and it performed way better thus far.

Take a look at Anand and the OCZ user forums and I think you will reconsider purchasing the drive. 4 IO per second compared to other MLCs which are performing at 1000 IOP.

Avoid ALL SSDs with JMicron controllers and Samsung memory as they are performing poorly and will all have the same problems as the OCZ.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

CWhitney, Sep 10, 2008
  9. wpichang

wpichang

Can you tell me which version of vista you running on it and how did you install it, I'm trying to gather all the info I could to find a fix to this and perhaps get this working.

wpichang, Sep 10, 2008
  10. wpichang

wpichang

Just wanted to give you an updated. It's been proven that having the latest chipset driver and SP1 Vista will solve most of the issues. So I recommended slipstreaming SP1 into your Vista installation, I'd also remove some of the programs while slipstreaming, such as defragmentation. As soon as Vista is up and running, install this.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... 2&lang=eng

Also, do not partition your SSD. Before performing the installation it is recommended to have the latest BIOS also.

wpichang, Sep 10, 2008
  11. wpichang

kdl

Matrix drivers can only be installed on RAID capable chipsets. In our AAO we don't have one. But new SSD drives don't have the disadvantages. Read the following review to understand the shortcomings of the OCZ drive: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/in ... i=3403&p=8

kdl, Sep 10, 2008
  12. wpichang

melhiore

13. wpichang

CWhitney

Sorry work today has gotten in the way of me posting...

I installed Vista Home Premium SP1 MSDN. The disc has all the updates through June. I ripped the disc using MS WAIK and customized it (answer file to remove OOBE, sysprep, etc). The disc was than copied to a high speed flash drive which I have used for many different installs. It performs very well and can install Vista Ultimate on my desktop in a little over 6 minutes and on my Dell Latitude D620 in a little over 11 minutes.

After I completed the install I updated all the drivers, ran all the updates, etc. This includes installing the Intel drivers. The BIOS is up date as well. This DOES NOT resolve the issues with the OZC SSD. Please look at the OCZ user forums and the Anand reviews. It will further clarify. Also defrag is disabled, the drive was not partitioned, the page file was disabled, etc. I have read the same guides and followed them accurately.

WPICHANG - If you are able to find a fix I would be eternally grateful as would MANY OCZ customers. Just look at their user forums and you will realize how widespread this problem really is.

If anyone else has any other questions please let me know.

CWhitney, Sep 11, 2008
  14. wpichang

Guest Guest

Are you running vista with just the 1gig of memory, or did you update your AA1 to 1.5gigs? I want to install vista but not with only 1gig and i dont think 512meg more would help that much in regards to performance with Vista that is.

Guest, Sep 11, 2008
  15. wpichang

CWhitney

I am running Vista with 1.5gb of memory now however I was running Vista on 1gig with the 120gig hard drive without an issue.

CWhitney, Sep 11, 2008
  16. wpichang

Guest Guest

Which version of vista are you running?

Guest, Sep 11, 2008
  17. wpichang

CWhitney

Home Premium SP1 MSDN - June Release

CWhitney, Sep 11, 2008
  18. wpichang

CWhitney

I did want to add that there have been some noticable benefits to the SSD.
    - The computer runs noticably cooler. Much of the heat from the bottom of the case is now gone. Keep in mind that I run this for 3 - 5 hours a night. After some time it got quite warm and now I would say that its 50% less.
    - Battery life has slightly been impacted for the better. I get about 10 minutes longer battery life under the same conditions. Although it is not a compelling reason to switch, it is a good sign.
    - Noise has been reduced to the fan only. It is quite nice.

CWhitney, Sep 11, 2008
  19. wpichang

snowwy66

since you all are replacing your hard drives with something else. could i please ask what hard drives we get in this thing. manufacture and ATA or SATA? thank you kindly

snowwy66, Sep 14, 2008
  20. wpichang

wpichang

I just finally got my shipment today, I'm putting everything together as we speak. The HDD is CONFIRM 2.5" SATA. I believe they use mixed brands for HDD. I'm going to put everything in and see if I can get a workable solution. And for everyone reading the Anandtech review on SSD. I think part of it can be disregarded. It seems the SSD functions perfectly fine on some controller and while the others not. It could be even the same model. But then again, everyone has to understand that even CPU are chipsets and your southbridge (the controller that bridges between cpu/hdds) is ALSO a chipset... If you ever looked into how CPUs were branded different model, it will basically explain to you why some will work and some won't. When produced by a machine, the chipset maybe "flawed" and it wouldn't perform how they should in "optimal" condition. Then they test them and see which range they'll fit into (CPUs are tested at the clock speed and heat produced, or some might even just won't POST at that designated speed). The chipset is less sophisticated where they either will work or won't. They won't "down model" them because it's most likely their architecture is completely different from one another. With this being said, and the point that SSD is a immature technology, sometimes your typical SB controller just won't handle the SSD (In simpler sense the SSD will simply stall the SB controller and make it unable to communicate for a few seconds and that is where the stalling occurs). However, I've been keeping up with this information and it seems they are trying their best to look for a solution (whether they could get chipset manufacturers to update their BIOs or some sort). I believe there is also a big issue to do with how windows is installed. I'll keep this updated and as soon as I get my running fine and cloglessly I'll post instructions.

wpichang, Sep 15, 2008
Ask a Question