AAO 110 webcam not detected on battery power

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by BP., Jun 14, 2010.

1. BP.

BP.

Hi,

My first post here, so first of all many thanks for all the valuable information available on this board. I was pretty new to Linux when I bought my Aspire One, but thanks to this board (and a few other sites), I was able to tweak my Acer to my needs (changed desktop, many application upgrades, WPA2 Entreprise, hardware mods, etc) and now have a very useful little machine.

There is one problem I can't solve though : my webcam doesn't work when the Acer is on battery power, it is not even shown in the System tab of Settings (in multimedia, webcam : N/A). When the Acer in on AC power, the webcam is detected (and works fine). I have read somewhere that the Acer could go into a power saving mode in which the webcam would be switched off when the netbook is on battery power, but I haven't found any information about how to change this, either on this forum (sorry if I missed it) or others. I have done many mods to my Acer, so kind of lost track of them but the problem seems to worsen, especially since I upgraded to the latest BIOS version.

Thank you for any help.

Benoit

BP., Jun 14, 2010
  2. BP.

BP.

No hint anybody ?

It's actually a very weird problem since the Crystal Eye camera works fine when my Aspire One is on AC power, but as soon as I pull the power plug, the camera freezes and disappears from the list of USB devices (in lsusb) ! There must be a config somewhere that shuts the camera down when on battery power, any idea what sort of process / configuration file could be involved in this ? Can this be BIOS related ? It seems to be worse since I got the latest BIOS version ? Thanks.

BP., Jul 3, 2010
  3. BP.

RockDoctor

RockDoctor, Jul 7, 2010
Ask a Question