AA1 running slow

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Guest, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

My AA1 was working as per usual two days ago, tonight however when started (with the ethernet cable plugged in) my computer seemed to run very slowly. The network manager seemed to be connecting to the internet fine, however when I opened the internet browser no pages would load. It also seemed that any other offline applications I wanted to run were also super slow. When the cable was unplugged, it seemed to run as per normal.... The other computer in the house is browsing the internet fine, so it isn't the connection itself.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas?

Help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks
    Hana

Guest, Jun 8, 2009
  2. Guest

barrie

Hi Hana,

I would turn the modem router off for 5 mins then turn back on, once done just boot the AA0 without the other PC on line and see what happens.

barrie, Jun 9, 2009
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Barrie!

Tried it and now working fine!

Guest, Jun 10, 2009
  4. Guest

barrie

Hi Hana,

Pleased to hear this, many connection issues just need the modem powered down for a few mins, maybe your ISP had being doing some work on the system.

barrie, Jun 10, 2009
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Barrie, anyone,

So turning the router off for a while the other day seemed to fix the problem, but it is back with a vengeance, and this time turning off the router does nothing. I'm not sure I buy that the ISP is doing something, as the other computer in the house (dell inspiron running ubuntu, incidentally) hasnt had any glitches and all that we have is an ethernet switch with the ethernet coming out of the wall into it, then going out two ways to the two computers.

I found this forum http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules.ph ... ic&p=74058 that seems to talk about a similar issue, but I cant understand all the things that they're talking about, not can I be sure it's the same problem. Do you think this is the sort of thing that is probably hardware related, so should be covered under warranty?

This is very confusing. Any ideas??

Hana

Guest, Jun 11, 2009
  6. Guest

barrie

Hi Hana,

Sorry for may late reply, I think you should shut down all other PC`s within the house then just see how your Acer behaves, if it zip’s along then you defiantly know its your ISP connection.

barrie, Jun 16, 2009
  7. Guest

graemev

1st a health warning ... I don't have my AA1 to hand , so this is all from memory.

I've seen an effect like this before ....long complicated series of reasons but in the end
    various things were updating /etc/resolv.conf .

This points at the 'nameserver' (DNS) .Try typing cat /etc/resolv.conf to see what it's set to

One combination I saw was:

1: Plugged in (RJ45) Ethernet ... did DHCP , got a good DNS updated /etc/resolv.conf ... all worked fine
    ...time passed
    2: The WiFi decided to connect to something , got a valid address and a DNS ...however THIS DNS would not responds (e.g. an unsecured neighbours WiFi) ... /etc/resolv.conf got updated ... all name lookups time out after a long delay.

There are many and various ways this (sort of thing) can happen...just keep an eye /etc/resolv.conf and note any changes.

graemev, Jun 23, 2009
  8. Guest

TheTilde

I agree with graemev. It can be a bad network config. Easiest way may be to delete all configs in NetworkManager, eventually reboot (not really needed, but if stucked), and make a new network config. By default, NetworkManager should see that there is no more config and should ask you to create a new one.

Hope it helps
    TheTilde

TheTilde, Jun 23, 2009
Ask a Question