AA1 on XP SP3 Professional Gradually Freezes Up

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by boyfren, Aug 27, 2008.

1. boyfren

boyfren

I got my new stuff just a week ago and have a full installation of XP with SP3. Everything's great but there's one downside... reading on NAND flash seem to freeze gradually. It's kinda annoying seeing your application freezes up for a while. Is there a way we can speed things up in here. Or atleast, run everything smoother without freezing.

Thanks a lot for any help... or if there are already help in place.. kindly lead me to the right link. More power to you all.

Guy

boyfren, Aug 27, 2008
  2. boyfren

rusty

I am running XP Professional SP3 and have the same issue. I plan on waiting about 6 months and replacing the SSD with a different model. The problem lies with the read/write speeds.

I do not want to replace with a standard 1.8 platter drive and increase the heat factor in the case.

:idea:

rusty, Aug 28, 2008
  3. boyfren

leemutpo

i got the same problem too, wondering if both of you using ntfs or fat32? for my case, ntfs "freeze" very frquently, while fat32 seems less "freezing" :?

leemutpo, Aug 28, 2008
  4. boyfren

rusty

I am using NTSF format. I installed the operating system and antivirus program on the flash drive, all other programs are installed on a 4 gig SDHC card in the expansion slot. I use the card reader to store data, music, pictures and videos. I recommend AVG antivirus for this machine, although I prefer avast. I have to be patient using IE7, it is slow, firefox is not recommended for this machine (as I read on another forum) Opera works well. As stated in my prior reply, the bottleneck with the Aspire One AOA110 is the read/write speed of the SSD. When cost effective, I will change the SSD. There serveral possibilities. In the meantime, I am enjoying the machine. :D :D

rusty, Aug 28, 2008
  5. boyfren

leemutpo

hi rusty, agreed that the ssd itself could be the issue, maybe it's mlc instead of slc

however before installing xp, with the default linpus the ssd performance seems far more better, why xp can't achieve similar performance?

leemutpo, Aug 28, 2008
  6. boyfren

boyfren

Wow finally atlast I'm not alone. And the reason why it worked well with linux is all about the drivers. I hope Acer would soon release a driver to properly optimize the performance of the SSD. And by the way, you might want to try this one out. It somehow improved the performance of my AA1: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57

I am by the way, running under NTFS.

boyfren, Aug 28, 2008
  7. boyfren

remoh

NTFS does write a timestamp to accessed files - that means write access on each read access which makes the SSD slow. Try disabling the timestamp writes:

Command line:

FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1

remoh, Aug 28, 2008
  8. boyfren

H@buster

Did you try disabling the pagefile or at least make it smaller? That will result in less SSD acces and might speed things up...

H@buster, Aug 28, 2008
  9. boyfren

Kite

Also you might want to consider relocating the C:\Documents and Settings\<username> to the sdhc card you are using. This I would recommand if you are going to leave your sd card in there and not removing it.

I noticed applications launches a lot faster, and there is a lot less little writes on the ssd as the application data is now going on the sdhc.

Also, all of these applies to the aspireOne:
    http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxp

Kite, Aug 28, 2008
  10. boyfren

leemutpo

already throw the swap file into gavotte ram drive in the very beginning, seems didn't help .... :?

leemutpo, Aug 28, 2008
  11. boyfren

remoh

swap file into ram drive ???
    what is that good for, wasting memory?

remoh, Aug 28, 2008
  12. boyfren

boyfren

Here's an update that everyone of you might be interested. I have just done testing it on my little baby and it's firing up!
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/winnt-b ... p-pro.html

There's also a related post that I believe was copied from that post. And by the way, I mean firing up with all the vista themes enabled with Office 2007.

boyfren, Aug 28, 2008
  13. boyfren

remoh

File based write filter (fbwf) runs great, but it has some massive drawbacks:
    all writes take place in ram and are normally not commited to disk, you have to do that file by file but even then:
    you can't commit file deletions
    you can't commit folder creations
    you can't commit foldes deletions

If you can live with that it makes you A110 lightning fast :)

The drawbacks take place on the volume you protect with fbwf, you can use other volumes like SD card normally

I wrote a script that commits the changed files to disk, i posted it on mp3car as nomam but you can find the original on my german Aspire One Wiki:

http://www.aaowiki.de/howto:fbwf

remoh, Aug 28, 2008
  14. boyfren

boyfren

Thanks remoh. I was really thinking about how I can live that and you surely get in time. By the way can have the english version of you post? Thanks.

boyfren, Aug 28, 2008
  15. boyfren

boyfren

This one makes me a lot happier with FBWF. I am now able to save files and create folders to the excluded areas of the protected drive. Thanks.

fbwfmgr /addexclusion c: “\WINDOWS\system32\drivers”
    fbwfmgr /addexclusion c: “\Programme\DAEMON Tools Lite”

boyfren, Aug 28, 2008
  16. boyfren

jzx

I had a look at FBWF, but I ended up using EWF. Seemed to be a better solution, IMHO.

jzx, Aug 29, 2008
  17. boyfren

remoh

remoh, Aug 29, 2008
  18. boyfren

boyfren

I respected your opinion jzx but I also have a look at both solutions.. and I am very much comfortable with FBWF.. cheers!

boyfren, Aug 29, 2008
  19. boyfren

boyfren

boyfren, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question