A150 Ubuntu + Madwifi or Ath5k WPA problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by thdj, Sep 10, 2008.

1. thdj

thdj

Hi all,

I'm getting a strange problem. While running Linpus, I can see all Wifi networks including the ones with WPA

After different tries with Ubuntu (Ubuntu 8.04.01 or Onelinux or the kernel 2.6.27 via petaramesh.org eg. with madwifi or ath5k driver) I come to the same problem :
    - Wifi is working BUT I can only see the wifi networks which are WEP encrypted and not the WPA ones
    Results are the same if I'm using the NetworkManager or WICD

Any idea about that ?

Thanks a lot

thdj, Sep 10, 2008
  2. thdj

RockDoctor

I'm running kernel 2.6.27-2 and wpasupplicant 0.6.4-2 from the Intrepid repositories and am able to connect to a WPA-encrypted network.

RockDoctor, Sep 13, 2008
  3. thdj

thdj

Hi RockDoctor,

Thanks for your answer. As for the new kernel, did you compile it or did you use the one from Petaramesh ?

thdj, Sep 15, 2008
  4. thdj

RockDoctor

I'm using a stock Ubuntu kernel from the Intrepid Ibex (8.10) repository. My network showed up, and I selected it using the NetworkManager applet

RockDoctor, Sep 15, 2008
  5. thdj

thdj

Ok, I've finally found the problem !
    Problem is that the channel list is missing some entries (iwlist chan). It does stop at channel 11 and my WPA access is at channel 13 (European channels in France).

When trying to load the ath_pci module with countrycode=250 with the last madwifi drivers, then the ath0/wifi0 card is not created. It's working only with countrycode=0 (by default).

Is there any fix for this problem (except than changing the WIFI channel which of course is working)?

Also it seems that the ath5k driver doesn't support the countrycode option.

thdj, Sep 25, 2008
  6. thdj

jbernardo

Try adding the following to /etc/modprobe.d/options:

Code:
    options cfg80211 ieee80211_regdom=EU
    options ath_pci xchanmode=1 rfkill=1
    Unfortunately, kernel 2.6.27-4 seems to have broken the atheros drivers, so I am once again using the madwifi ones - but I still need those lines to access my AP on channel 13.

jbernardo, Sep 25, 2008
  7. thdj

thdj

Wow, jbernardo, youre solution is wonderful ! Thanks so much for your help. Now I can scan the chanels 12 & 13 with the madwifi drivers :)

thdj, Sep 26, 2008
Ask a Question