A110 shuts off after bios 3310. Fan running faster.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by key, Apr 7, 2010.

1. key

key

Can anyone help please.

A110
    supertalent32gb
    1.5gb ram
    win7
    option 3g
    was bios 3308 now 3310

I had a small problem with the option software giving an error each time the application was opened. had no effect on the operation i could see but annoying more than problem.

lived with this for more than a year. using linpus, and win7 rc1.

went crazy this week and bought win7 and working absolutely brilliantly apart from this little error.

so i thought wrongly i'd try the acer firmware 3310.

updated and rebooted.

in the first ten seconds of the boot up the fan came on much faster than normal and then slowed to the normal spin speed.

5 seconds later the machine shut off.

now if i restart it is does the little fan spin up and slow down as normal but shuts off before windows login.

if i leave it for a few minutes it will stay on long enough to login. then shutoff.

sounds like overheating protection but the fan is not speeding up and the machine doesn't get hot. the fan would not normally have had to do much before the update.

any ideas? the fan seems to speed up and slow down quite often now.

I've searched the forum pretty well and can find suggestions of "don't update bios unless you really have to" agreed.
    and give it a clout to start up the fan again. dodgy but seems to work. mine is already spinning although faster than before the update. but even normally the rest of the time.
    even tried taking the battery out and leaving it.

can i downdate the bios? how? likely to fix it?
    is this a known problem?

thanks for any help!
    gutted, Iain

key, Apr 7, 2010
Ask a Question