[A110] Replacing Glossy LCD with Matte possible?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by latace, Aug 31, 2010.

1. latace

latace

I barely use my 2-year old A110L , because I get headaches from the glossy screen (especially on a train or in bed).

I see that some laptop replacement screen companies advertise 8.9 Aspire One screens as being matte, some say that you might get glossy OR matte depending on their stock levels.
    Some people on this forum have gotten matte replacement screens by (happy) accident.

So my question is: Has one anyone bought a matte replacement screen for their AAO deliberately? How did the replacement go? :)

I am afraid I will order matte screen and the company will send me glossy instead...

latace, Aug 31, 2010
  2. latace

pertsavk

Even if this is an old topic I still feel I'd like to share some of my personal experiences (as noone else has).

My daughter dropped the ssd zg5 and its screen died, showing just colorful mess when swithced on. External was OK, so I figured it'd be worth fixing. A friend of mine had previously given me a dead HP 2133 and its screen looked compatible. It was, same resolution, same connector at the same place, same screwholes at same spots etc. I didn't pay any attention to the difference not easily seen when turned off - it is matte. It's working OK; the only negative difference I have noticed is that for some reason it seems to flicker a bit. IIRC the original one never had any flickering symptoms, but this "new" one seems to flicker when something power-hungry is happening at the same time. I don't know if this is typical or is it just this one sample or am I just imagining, having just read about the flicker problem and the infamous bios fix for it. The good? No more extra reflections. And I cannot say why, but the picture just looks better.

pertsavk, Mar 20, 2012
  3. latace

Swarvey Moderator

Less glare, the glossy "anti-glare" screens (in my experience anyway) reflect a lot more peripheral light. The flickering you're getting is probably due to the backlight, the HP screen may be more power hungry. Does the flickering go away or lessen when plugged in to AC?

Swarvey, Mar 21, 2012
Ask a Question