A rather good Vista installation...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by lameguest, Dec 6, 2008.

1. lameguest

transfrmr

Awesome guide lameguest!

It makes me a little sad that I didn't find it before I figured it all out myself, but your guide pretty much sums up everything I did to get it working. Besides, I guess doing it the hard way makes me appreciate it a little more ;)

I have the internal mike working on my installation of Vista Ultimate, and the only thing that I can see that I did differently from you was use an upgrade install rather than a fresh install. I found it quite easy to rip the Vista install to DVD, copy it to the HDD and mount it using Daemon tools, and then just run the upgrade from XP. Knowing that the first thing Vista install does is copy the files needed for install to the HDD before the first reboot, and that even an "upgrade" install isn't really a true upgrade in the case of Vista (unlike 98 to XP upgrade), this just seemed the easiest and fastest way to get rid of XP. Of course I wasn't worried about dual-booting either ;) It did keep a few of the drivers from the XP install, and the internal mic might be one of them. My LAN and WLAN worked right off the bat too, so I know there were a few carry-overs.

I've seen recommendations that you should NOT use the latest RealTek driver for Vista for the audio, but rather the driver off the Acer site (ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/netbook/as ... 50/driver/). This would seem to be consistent with the fact that I did not install any new drivers and the internal and external mic are both working fine. Have you tried this?

Hope this helps you, it sucks that you went to all the trouble of helping people with their installs and you're still having this issue!

Kudos again for a well-done guide!

Transfrmr

transfrmr, Jan 13, 2009
  2. lameguest

lameguest

Thankyou transfrmr for your feedback, I'm happy to hear that you've appreciated my guide. I'll try to follow your precious hints as soon as possible.

Best wishes.

lameguest, Jan 16, 2009
  3. lameguest

lameguest

Ok, I finally found the solution ! The audio driver on the Acer site actually contains a customization made to drive the internal mic correctly, it also seems to have a much louder volume output; the latest version, posted 3 days ago, supports both Vista and XP and is alligned to the last reference driver (2.14) from Realtek. This is definitely the best and only audio driver we should use !

Many thanks to transfrmr for the "inspiration" ;) ;)

I'm about to reflect the changes into the main topic.

See you soon.

lameguest, Jan 18, 2009
  4. lameguest

transfrmr

Awesome! Glad to hear you finally haver FULL functionality!

By the way, I've installed Windows 7, and the steps for install are exactly the same, I'm also using all the same drivers so your guide is also useful for people looking to try out the beta :)

Enjoy!

transfrmr, Jan 19, 2009
  5. lameguest

Tiger66

I cannot for the life of me find the driver for
    The Realtek PCI-E 10/100 8102E/8103E NIC for Vista, from http://www.realtek.com.tw, version 6.213 or later
    on the realtek site all i can find is some software guides by searching 8103E
    search brings nothing up for 8103E
    i have got all the others but not this one
    can anyone point in the right direction with a direct link

Tiger66, Jan 24, 2009
  6. lameguest

GvidoR

GvidoR, Jan 24, 2009
  7. lameguest

ronime

I have XP and Windows 7 running happily on two machines with BIOS v3114. Can someone explain why BIOS v3305 or later is required to install Vista?

ronime, Jan 24, 2009
  8. lameguest

Tiger66

Tiger66, Jan 25, 2009
  9. lameguest

farmerfox

Thanks for this guide, it has been a tremendous help, but...

I am having a problem with the Realtek audio driver. I've downloaded the recommended driver twice now (and very slowly), and when I try to unzip it, I get an error that says the file is invalid. I thought that maybe the newest version of winzip would help, so I downloaded that, and I get a similar error.

All the other compressed files extracted properly, including the audio driver from Acer's Canadian site (5.10.0.5628). I haven't installed it yet, I cheated and skipped this and installed the NIC driver so Vista could download 72 updates.

Any suggestions? Use the 5.10.0.5628? Where to find the 5.10.0.5772? What am I doing wrong with the .zip file I have?

Thanks.

farmerfox, Jan 29, 2009
  10. lameguest

lameguest

This is only because I've not tested any Vista installation with a bios earlier than 3305, so I didn't know if it is possible or recommended.

Surely the server didn't allowed you to complete the download, please use the latest version as suggested. Grab it here: ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/netbook/as ... 0.5772.zip
    It should work.

lameguest, Jan 31, 2009
  11. lameguest

farmerfox

lameguest:

I am at a loss. I downloaded the file again, and this time it works.

The file size was one of the first things I checked the other day (and it appeared correct). The file I downloaded today claims it is the same size as the other day's, but today's works.

Damn Gremlins...

Thanks for your response.

farmerfox, Jan 31, 2009
  12. lameguest

Racer38

I cant get any of the networking stuff to work on my AOA 150 .. Everything else is awesome with that exception .. Any ideas ??

I downloaded the Realtek Vista stuff and it keeps defaulting to the windows driver and the adapter says it wont start

???

Craig

Racer38, Feb 26, 2009
  13. lameguest

scirocco

scirocco, Apr 3, 2009
  14. lameguest

wongnog

I agree, I am also confused. I found v9.1.0.1012 on the intel website but it said it was for desktop chipsets. I have no idea if it's the same same 9.0.0.1008 for out chipset or if it's truly an update. I also don't know why OP hasn't put direct links for the first two Intel drivers. Lameguest could you lend us a hand please?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... 4&lang=eng

wongnog, Apr 6, 2009
  15. lameguest

lameguest

The current version of the Intel Chipset Software Installation utility is 9.1.0.1012, available at http://downloadmirror.intel.com/10884/e ... 012_PV.exe and is suitable for both desktop and mobile kind of chipsets; however, a slightly older version like 1008 should do the job in the same way, as the 945GSE chipset is rather old, thus is supported in the previous versions.

But I think that, as a general rule, the latest is the better.

I'm always happy if I can help you.

See you soon.

lameguest, Apr 8, 2009
  16. lameguest

azz2811

hello i cant seem to find the right lan driver for my aao does anyone know where that is?

thanks

azz2811, Jun 27, 2009
Ask a Question