945GM Driver Performance?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by AdFad666, Jan 8, 2009.

1. AdFad666

AdFad666

I've re-installed build 7000 a number of times and each has had serious problems with displaying the aero graphics and playing video. Windows 7 installs driver version 8.15.10.1590 but in aero mode there is a lot of display corruption, but videos play smoothly. If i change to the aero basic theme, there is no display corruption but videos are very jumpy.

does everyone else experience this? should I update to the 'older' vista drivers to fix things?

AdFad666, Jan 8, 2009
  2. AdFad666

eti

hi
    the aero style works out of the box. i have not done anything. you could try install again, maybe it works.

eti, Jan 11, 2009
  3. AdFad666

AdFad666

Well yes it gets enabled and switched on when i install but it's buggy and not really useable. I've attached a screenshot.

if you look, anywhere there seems to be an edge, the pixels appear to get duplicated a couple of times.

[​IMG]

AdFad666, Jan 11, 2009
  4. AdFad666

eti

my aero works, but i did nothing, i just removed some in vlite. i will look later what i have removed, maybe it helps

eti, Jan 11, 2009
  5. AdFad666

AdFad666

Hmm I'm thinking it could potentially be a hardware problem?

here's an attached screenshot of 3dMark05 which i used to test if there were any artifacts in GPU acceleration from within Windows XP

[​IMG]

As you can see the same kind of artifacting appears there too, from within a different OS using completely different drivers...

AdFad666, Jan 12, 2009
  6. AdFad666

eti

it could be, but you should test some games also!

have tried the driver from intel?

eti, Jan 13, 2009
  7. AdFad666

encaputxat

i can't install intel drivers because "isn't windows 7 compatible"

encaputxat, Jan 13, 2009
  8. AdFad666

eti

you must download the developerpackage from the intel site. its in zip format.
    then you extract this file and install it manually. you can do this from the device manager. then you choose the directory where you extracted the files. windows will choose the right file. then you must reboot and restart the experience index. mine increased a little bit.

eti, Jan 13, 2009
  9. AdFad666

moondevil

eti, any chance of a direct link? the Intel site is a mess for searching

moondevil, Jan 13, 2009
  10. AdFad666

eti

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa ... 1&lang=eng

after downloading you must extract this file.
    then you open the device manager, choose "DISPLAY MANAGER" expand it and double click on the device which is displayed.
    now you should be able to see 4 tabs. you take the second. "DRIVER"
    there you click on the button for "UPDATE DRIVER" und let windows look in the directory where you have extracted the zip file.

i hope you know what I mean because my english is not so good, i only learn it at school :)

eti, Jan 13, 2009
  11. AdFad666

moondevil

eti, thanks very much for the link. You speak (type) much better English than a lot of English people I know. (and definitely better than I speak any other language). Congrats!

moondevil, Jan 13, 2009
  12. AdFad666

eti

thank you :)

and i am glad that i was able to help you

eti, Jan 13, 2009
  13. AdFad666

AdFad666

I did try it before, but i gave it another shot and the drivers from Intel didn't fix the problem.

I think it could be an overheating problem, as i'm sure the fan stays on the louder settings more than when I first got the machine. Playing with the settings and waving the windows around seemed to make it slightly worse, and even turning the aero transparency off didn't help, though I'm not really surprised since everything still goes through the graphics chip.

I'm tempted to mod the heatsink, like some people have already done in the hardware section, with some ram heat sinks. I'm hopefully going to be upgrading the Ram to 1.5GB eventually, once i have a free weekend so will probably try it then.

In the meantime Aero basic is good enough for me :)

AdFad666, Jan 13, 2009
  14. AdFad666

eti

maybe the fan is blocked up with dust, if you do the ram upgrade you can look for that.

has the graphic chip a temperatur diode build in? if so, you could read it out with some software(speedfan, or such similiar programms)

but if aero basic is enough for you, let it be ;)

eti, Jan 13, 2009
  15. AdFad666

Shad0wguy

Aero is working for me, though I am having a peculiar issues. Every time I boot I get 3 prompts to run intel's tray utility. Even if I check to box to not ask me again it keeps showing every boot. After I click past them the system runs good, and plays games better than I expected. Anyone else experience this issue?

Shad0wguy, Jan 17, 2009
  16. AdFad666

AdFad666

I had that problem on one of the installs i did. I think it happened when i used the installer version of the drivers which was downloaded. You know how when you download an exe, windows tags it so it will ask you if you want to run it, since it came from the internet? I think this tag gets passed onto the driver exes for the system tray tools.

On later installs of Win7 I used the driver version that comes in a zip folder, extracted the files using WinRAR, then manually installed them, and there was no problems.

However I'm not so sure how useful installing the drivers from intel is, since the default Windows 7 drivers are of a higher version number, and I've noticed no advantage in installing the older drivers. Video playback is choppy for me using both default and vista drivers. However I've not tried connecting an external monitor or projector under Win7 or anything else advanced so maybe there could be some advantage that way.

AdFad666, Jan 17, 2009
  17. AdFad666

ears1991

Fresh intsall using the default 7 driver as it scores higher in the experience index, youtube HD videos are very choppy, unwatchable..
    Playing 720p mkv files in VLC is the same.

Anyone else have these issues?

ears1991, Jan 18, 2009
  18. AdFad666

Jazzle

I got the same issues :cry:
    And the cpu isn't even used for 100% so it definitely is the video driver.

Jazzle, Jan 18, 2009
  19. AdFad666

ears1991

Ahh thats good to know.. i guess.. lol
    Would really love to be able to play mkv files on here as then i can watch all my fav shows on the go

It seems the best thing for now is to stick with the windows 7 default driver as it scores higher, and im running midtown madness 2 using them on near max settings with alright fps, so if it can render that, why the heck cant it decode a video?!

ears1991, Jan 18, 2009
  20. AdFad666

t33r3x

t33r3x, Jan 20, 2009
Ask a Question