8GB SSD to iPod HDD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Sudsmcduff96, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Sudsmcduff96

Sudsmcduff96

Hello. I am currently wanting to replace my 8GB SSD in my AA1, Over to an iPod HDD.

I heard you are able to use the HDD in an iPod for use in the AA1. My question is that what type of iPod (Classic,Nano,etc) would I need? Also what Generation? (1st Gen, 2nd Gen, etc)

Sudsmcduff96, Feb 27, 2010
  2. Sudsmcduff96

Sudsmcduff96

Still no response... :x

Sudsmcduff96, Mar 7, 2010
  3. Sudsmcduff96

Kimpil

Try to do a search in the forum or do a google search. There are many places on the web that tells you how to do it. Tankgirl has some excellent videos on how to do it.

Kimpil, Mar 8, 2010
  4. Sudsmcduff96

Sudsmcduff96

I did do a search and cannot come up with the actual info I need. I need to know the type (nano,classuc,touch,etc) and generation (1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,etc)

Sudsmcduff96, Mar 10, 2010
  5. Sudsmcduff96

CZroe

I don't know why I find this so amusing. :)

Whoever told you "iPod HDD" didn't mean to imply that it is a type of HDD or, if they did, they shouldn't have.

It just means "the type that they use in iPods." In other words, you need a 1.8" PATA/IDE HDD with a ZIF connector. The connectors on different brands of HDDs have the pins on one side of the connector or the other, so you may have to buy or modify a cable. I bought a Hitachi 20GB one for $12 + $ S&H on eBay and installed it today. That's 2.5x the capacity and MUCH better performance, though installing FlashFire made the SSD's performance tolerable before (I had the EXTRA slow Intel model).

Hitachi drives need a flipped cable and the one I bought was too short so I had to cut into the unused 3G modem cavity to install it instead of just snipping off one of the SSD's screw posts like the tnkgrl video (Google: Aspire one SSD HDD upgrade). I used a set of hobby knives to make the cuts. There is a thread on here discussing what drives people have used and which need the flipped cable. If you don't mind destroying the original cable someone described that you can peel off the plastic tab, fold the pins over, and sand to expose the conductors on the other side to make your own flip cable (the folded-over part makes it thick enough to clamp without the tab).

I have a couple extra flipped ZIF cables (they came in a three-pack).

CZroe, Mar 18, 2010
  6. Sudsmcduff96

CZroe

CZroe, Mar 18, 2010
Ask a Question