8gb SDHC seen as 4GB

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by sinc, Mar 28, 2010.

1. sinc

sinc

Hi,

My AOA 110 (8GB SSD, xp installed) has a 8gb SDHC installed in the left-hand slot, but windows only sees it as 4GB. In xp 'disk management' it shows a single partition of 4GB, and another 'unallocated' section of 4GB. But it's not a second partition; I can't delete the partition or use it. How do I get it back. I've tried reformatting too, but it will just reformat the 4GB partition.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks

sinc, Mar 28, 2010
  2. sinc

melhiore

You may try to use HP Formatting Tool...

melhiore, Mar 28, 2010
  3. sinc

Jimux

It sounds as if the card has been partitioned so that it can be read on machines which can only address 4Gb. If this is so then the easiest way to access the other 4Gb is to add a second partition to the card. If you are running Linux then the best format would be an ext4 or ext3 partition depending on what your distro supports, in Windows then FAT32.

Then just place a data directory on the new partition, in Linux link the root of the partition to a data directory on the first partition.

Jimux, Mar 29, 2010
Ask a Question