802.11n trouble with new Netbook

Discussion in 'Networking' started by asayc423, May 20, 2012.

1. asayc423

asayc423

I recently purchased an Aspire One netbook model AO722. It is supposed to have a 802.11n compatible card in it. I cam able to connect wirelessly at home and at work but in my office I have a new router that only does 'n' protocol and I have been unable to connect to the internet through it.

I have done a little poking around in the control panel and it seems that my connection is trying to use 802.11b, I am trying to find out if there is a way to switch it so it uses the n protocol by default.

Thanks

asayc423, May 20, 2012
  2. asayc423

Swarvey Moderator

If you can access your device manager, scroll down to the network adapters section, click the plus sign to expand it, then double click your WiFi adapter. A properties window should open up with a few tabs at the top. Under the advanced tab are a few technical settings. One of these settings (I'm not even going to try to name the setting because so many manufacturers and drivers call it something different), if present, will enable you to select b/g/n connectivity.

However the default setting is usually to enable all protocols, but have a look anyway.

Usually the easiest way to access device manager under Windows XP is to right click the My Computer icon, choose properties, hardware tab, device manager.

Windows Vista/Windows 7, click the start button, type Device Manager into the search box and select Device Manager from the results.

Swarvey, May 20, 2012
Ask a Question