751h Dark screen Issue

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by darcys, May 2, 2011.

1. darcys

darcys

All,
    I have been searching for some time for a solution or even just an explaination for an issue I am having with an AAO 751h

The LCD screen is very dark, like the led backlight is gone in the LCD screen. I can shine a torch and see that the LCD is working but just not visible.
    I can plug in an external monitor successfully and it works normally. I have seen many issues relating to "black screen of death" but I assume that this is not the case with me. However I did update the BIOS to the latest version 3212, but this does not do anything. I thought that this was a faulty inverter/backlight so I bought a new LCD screen as they are built in (exact same model B116XW02 v0) but it shows the same behaviour (i.e. no backlight).

Could this be a faulty lid actuator switch? As I can not see a physical switch does the A0751h use a magnetic one? If so where is it and how can I test it? Is there a magnetic switch on the mainboard I can bypass?

Would reverting to an older BIOS be of any use? If so how do I do this with an Acer, keep getting error saying BIOS version is newer than the one being installed!

I would appreciate any other suggestions, The netbook is out of warranty and I have found Acer support to be of very limited use.

Running Windows XP PS3
    BIOS 3212
    Acer Aspire A0751H - 52BK
    New LCD B116XW02 v0

Thanks
    Shane

darcys, May 2, 2011
  2. darcys

Wolfmight

I've had this issue with other devices and it's most likely a problematic port the LCD is connected to. That or the GPU, but most likely a faulty port. If you know how to take it apart, perhaps try re-energizing the port with mild strokes of a pencil eraser and compressed air to blow away the dirt and left-over erasings. This is generally a great trick to get Ram going again, but it also works for ports with similar metal connectors that have just corroded, dirty or dusty. It's safer than rubbing alcohol because the alcohol can remain in tight corners of the port.

Wolfmight, Aug 27, 2011
Ask a Question