6 Cell battery suddenly drops from 50% to 5% charge.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Mickey Way, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Mickey Way

Mickey Way

I have an AAO AOA150, Win XP, 160GB HD, 6 Cell battery.

OK. I start with a fully charged battery (99%). When it gets to about 50%, I get a “Low Battery” warning and it shows that the battery has suddenly dropped to 5%. What is going on?

It does this quite often. I don’t use it every day, but typically store it with a charge of at least 60% or better. I conditioned the battery after I purchased it new 4 months ago.

Is the battery malfunctioning, or does it just drain as it sits? Would it be better to remove the charged battery after use before storing overnight?

Any feed back on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mickey Way, Aug 8, 2009
  2. Mickey Way

DutchDK

Is it an original Acer supplied 6 cell battery, or is it an OEM battery bought from another vendor (ebay etc) ?

If it is supplied from Acer, you have a 6 month warranty on the battery - contact Acer for an exchange.
    If it is an OEM battery bought of ebay, you are most probably SOL, depending on if the vendor still is reachable, and if there is any kind of warranty from the vendor on the OEM battery.

DutchDK, Aug 8, 2009
  3. Mickey Way

Mickey Way

It is the original Acer 6 cell battery that came with the computer.

Mickey Way, Aug 8, 2009
  4. Mickey Way

Mickey Way

Well, it turns out that the battery was bad after all. After going back and forth with Acer on-line support, "they" decided to replace the battery under warranty. I shipped it out on a Monday, and the following Tuesday a new battery was delivered. So, to anyone who is experiencing problems with their battery, deal with it now because the battery warranty is only good for six months .

Mickey Way, Aug 29, 2009
Ask a Question